Barrenjoey High School
Barrenjoey High School Introduction
Barrenjoey is a community, comprehensive high school located on North Avalon Beach. The school is an integral part of
a vibrant, cosmopolitan and creative community and has a unique blend of academic performance, artistic expression and social awareness.
We believe that all students are capable of high achievement and all students are supported by our school to not only achieve, but also exceed their potential. With highly qualifi ed, experienced and dedicated staff, Barrenjoey provides a range of opportunities that develop knowledge, skills, positive attitudes and values. Our school has a friendly, calm, cooperative and learning focused culture where pursuing excellence is supported and valued.
Barrenjoey develops student leadership and citizenship and has a range of innovative programs to develop responsibility and care for others. Barrenjoey students are confi dent, respectful of each other and of teachers.
Barrenjoey is well known for its outstanding creative and performing arts and involves students fully in the organisation of school productions, events and performances.
Barrenjoey instills a strong environmental awareness and participates in a range of environmental projects with the wider community.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs
- A part-time ESL teacher runs programs tailored for international students
- German and French
- Rock Eisteddfod
- Student leadership program
- Interschool visit, sporting competitions
- Visits from overseas school groups
- Sister school alliance with Okinawa Shogaku High School
- Dance and drama programs
- Mock trial and debating
- TAFE accredited Peer Tutor program
- Student Mediators and Peer Mentoring program
- School camp Years 7, 9 and 11
- Wide curriculum choice including TAFE courses
- Links to Macquarie University in science, technology, engineering and math
- Snow team (skiing and snowboarding)
Student Support Services and Programs
- Year advisers and support head teacher for each year group
- Learning support teacher
- International Student Coordinator and ESL support teacher
- Student welfare coordinator and welfare team
- Careers adviser and resource centre
- Part-time youth worker
- School counsellor
- Music recording studio, keyboard laboratory
- Multipurpose hall with sports facilities, a stage equipped with lighting and sound, large screen for multimedia presentations and two baby grand pianos
- Three networked computer rooms, additional computer mini labs in classrooms within each subject area and wireless connected laptops
- Specialist drama room
- Three specialist art rooms, a ceramics studio and a photography darkroom
- Basketball courts, playing fi eld, tennis courts
- Gymnasium and personal trainer
HSC Results and Year 12 University/TAFE Placements
- Students regularly perform above state average in most courses
- Barrenjoey graduates obtain university, TAFE and traineeship placement, travel overseas or go directly into their own business or the workplace
Features of Local Area
- The school is located on North Avalon Beach and is close to Avalon village shopping area known for its restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques
- Buses available to local shopping malls in Warriewood and Brookvale
- Regular bus to Manly Beach and Sydney CBD
- The school is located on a narrow peninsula that has beautiful Pittwater on the western side and spectacular beaches on the east, and historic Barrenjoey lighthouse, to the north
- Nearby is Palm Beach which is known internationally as the location for the filming of the television series Home and Away
Contact our team for free to study at Australian schools.