Ellenbrook Secondary College
Ellenbrook Secondary College Overview
Ellenbrook Secondary College has established a safe and productive learning environment for all students. Students work in Learning Communities with a team of teachers based on a specialist approach. Curriculum is presented in a holistic fashion, and is designed to be challenging and relevant for students.
The structure of the College aims to address the emotional, social and intellectual needs specific to young teenagers. The approach taken involves placing high expectations on all students while fostering a sense of self worth, respect and confidence.
Ellenbrook is situated in the Swan Valley which is acclaimed as Western Australia’s first wine region and is filled with boutique breweries, award-winning restaurants and artists studios. It is on the outer metropolitan area, 26 kilometres from the City of Perth.
The Ellenbrook community is one of the fastest growing suburbs in the Perth Metropolitan area, with an eventual predicted population of 50 000 over the next decade. The College draws from students in the Ellenbrook area as well as the bordering suburbs of The Vines, Aveley, Henley Brook, Upper Swan, Brigadoon, Millendon and Baskerville.
Ellenbrook Secondary College is a world class educational facility and being situated in the Ellenbrook Town Square has some unique architectural features. The College caters for Year 7 & 8 students and will continue to grow each year as students progress through each year level.
The first stage building program is complete, and will accommodate existing and new enrolments through to Year 10. Planning for further stages of the building program has now commenced.
Students work in Learning Communities with a team of teachers based on a specialist approach. Curriculum is presented in a holistic fashion, and is designed to be challenging and relevant for students.
Individualised Education Plans are also utilised for students with learning difficulties or those requiring a higher level academic rigour. Learning Communities are led by Team Leaders who are responsible to provide educational leadership to a core team of teachers from various subject areas to support student learning.
A Student Services Coordinator, Team Leaders, Learning Support Coordinator and two Associate Principals provide additional pastoral care and support. Other members of the Student Services team include the College Counsellor, Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer, Chaplain and School Nurse.
Ellenbrook Secondary College boasts exceptional facilities including:
- an integrated Information Communication & Technology (ICT) network linking students to the world
- three general learning communities complete with Science labs, Seminar Rooms, Studio areas, computer banks.
- Community Library shared with the City of Swan
- Arts Facilities - Performing Arts Theatre, Music studio, Instrumental practice rooms, Green room, Media Studio and edit suite, Visual Art Studio.
- Sporting arenas including undercover recreational facility with change-room facilities, outdoor playing courts, and College Oval.
- Specialist building with additional Science, Computer, Home Economics and Design and Technology Studios.
Ellenbrook Secondary College selects staff on merit; recruiting a team of highly qualified staff to create, deliver and administer our teaching programs. Working closely with Edith Cowan University to support our teacher professional development program we empower our staff, to focus on academic rigour and teaching practices to further enhance teaching and learning across the College.
We encourage and reward creativity, initiative and teamwork. There is a high expectation for personal and professional standards for staff and students alike. Staff, at Ellenbrook Secondary College, recognise that quality relationships underpin successful learning and teaching practice.
All students have a broad curriculum covering:
- The Arts, (Music, Visual Arts & Drama)
- Technology & Enterprise, (Design & Technology, ICT, Home Economics)
- Languages Other Than English, (Italian or Indonesian)
- Society & Environment,
- Physical and Health Education.
- Ellenbrook Secondary College has taken a strong Arts focus led by our developing Music Program which includes:
- A range of ensembles including concert band, orchestra, choir, Barber Shop, Jazz and Samba band, Guitar, Woodwind, String, Brass and percussion ensembles and combined ensembles.
- Specialist double reed woodwind tuition.
- Timetabled classroom music program for selected specialist instrumental and vocal program students, including musical theory, aural, musicianship and performance.
- Ongoing performance program involving local, national and international tours and venues.
- School of Instrumental Music (SIM) partnership, and Ellenbrook Cultural foundation Instrumental strings program.
- Academic extension classes (years 7-9). Students are selected by academic performance and teacher recommendation.
- Student electives in Year 9 cater for greater specialisation in areas of interest for students. For example in Year 9 students may elect to do general physical education classes or pick specialised physical recreation (surfing), soccer or netball.
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
The school caters for a number of existing students whose language background is other than English. However, a functional capacity for spoken and written English is required.
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
The structure of the College aims to address the emotional, social and intellectual needs specific to young teenagers.
The approach taken involves placing high expectations on all students while fostering a sense of self worth, respect and confidence. The team approach ensures that students have a sense of belonging and familiarity within their learning community.
The Student Services team comprises of:
- Student Services Manager
- College Counsellor
- Learning Support Coordinator
- Aboriginal & Islander Education Officer
- College Nurse