High School Canberra | High Schools in Canberra | Study at a High School in Canberra with Go to Australia | Free Enrollment Service

Canberra High School

Canberra High School

Why study in Canberra?

  • Canberra is a safe and friendly place to study in.
  • The city offers access to high quality tuition at affordable rates.
  • There is a lot to see and do in Canberra. There are ample opportunities for recreation

How do I enrol in an ACT government school?

For international fee paying programs, please make an initial enquiry to the International Education Unit or any one of several agents such as the AA Education Network for an application pack.

Please complete and send the application to the International Education Unit personally or through an agent together with the application fee.

Successful applicants will be faxed or sent a letter of offer or to their agent. The applicant must accept the offer by paying the applicable tuition fees together with the OSHC fees. The student or his/her agent will then receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) together with a receipt for the fees.

At this stage, the applicant must then apply for a student visa by submitting the CoE together with other relevant documentation to the nearest Australian diplomatic mission in his/her home country. He/she will be required to undergo a health check as part of the application process.

The student or his/her agent then arranges the flight to Australia and then informs the International Education Unit about the travel plans. The student can choose either to be greeted by a Unit representative or family and friends on arrival.

Secondary schooling in Canberra - English language bridging programs
These programs are available at several ACT secondary colleges and high schools.
Intensive English tuition combined with mainstream learning is one of the hallmarks of such programs.

The aim of such programs is to:

  • Provide intensive English language tuition
  • Expose students to Australian culture as much as possible
  • Provide opportunities for credit for past studies

What is OSHC?
This is insurance cover for international students as required by the Australian government for health and medical care while studying in Australia.

Where can I stay as a school student?
The ACT Department of Education & Training has a list of home stay providers which is inspected and monitored by officers from the department.
Students over the age of 18 can make their own living arrangements if they do so wish.

How much money will I need?
It would normally be in the range of $100-$150 plus the home stay payment.

Can I work and study?
Part-time work may be allowed depending on the visa conditions. Students should also note that finding such work may be difficult.

Who do I see if I have a problem?
Normally, the International Student Coordinator would be the first point of call.
In addition, the International Education Unit is able to assist you with services such as:

  • Airport reception
  • Study counselling
  • Accommodation assistance
  • Career advice
  • Intensive language courses
  • Health & welfare advice
  • Library services
  • When can I start?
  • Students can enrol at anytime during the year so long as their visa has been approved and issued.