Steps to Study in Australia

Our Study in Australia Wizard will help you to apply to study in Australia

Organising and applying to study in Australia can be a complicated and cofusing process. Thats why we have created this how to guide to explain the exact steps to succesfully apply to study in Australia


Planning Your Studies in Australia

Get in touch with our education counselors and explain you study wishes in Australia. Our Team is an expert in the field of studying in Australia and all our services for International Students is Free!

After discussing with your education counselor, you should choose your mode of education from the four main sectors:

– Education language training
– Schools / Highschools
– Universities
– Vocational Education and Training

When choosing your preferred type of education, take note of qualification prerequisites, commencement and duration, facilities, reputation of the institute, location (eg urban or rural, climate and extra curricular activities available on and off campus as well as religious facilities), accommodation and quality assurances. Also take into consideration the opinion of friends who have previously attended the same institution and the proximity of friends and relatives to the institute.


Select your Course

Universities offer many undergraduate and postgraduate courses covering fields of study such as agriculture, business, economics, education, environmental science, engineering, health sciences, humanities and social sciences, information technology, law, mathematics and computing, medicine, science and visual/performing arts. Vocational education and training institutions offer practical, career-orientated courses, including business, computing, marketing, tourism and hospitality.

The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) covers 12 different types of qualifications to help students find a suitable course anywhere in Australia.
The AQF helps students determine the appropriate level courses through your existing qualifications and previous studies.

By law, all Australian education providers and the courses they offer must be accredited and registered by the Australian Government. This register provides information on institution services and locations, courses and their duration and tuition fees.

It is helpful to seek information from more than one education provider before making a decision on a particular one




Next, you need to inform yourself about the costs involved with studying in Australia.

When choosing an institute to study at, you should consider fees. Fees vary according to the institution and the type of course. For example, those that require a large amount of laboratory and fieldwork are more expensive than an arts course.

For a student visa you will need to declare your financial ability and in most cases you will need evidence of having sufficient funds to pay part or all of your tuition fees. If you intend to work while studying, then the money you earn should only supplement your income and not be your primary source.

The majority of international students in Australia are full-fee paying students and do not get scholarships. Unfortunately student loans are not available for international students who study in Australia.


Meet the Requirements 

Meet the English language requirements to study in Australia
You need to have a certain level of English language proficiency as a requirement for applying for a visa and for most university and vocational education and training courses. You need to meet the minimum score in the IELTS English language proficiency test and/or a period of English language tuition. Check with each education provider what English language proficiency tests are recognised and what the minimum score is for each course. Foundation Studies and secondary schooling prepare you for further study in Australia. There are many English language courses, with starting dates throughout the year, which can help you with further studies.

Meet the academic requirements to study in Australia
Students must meet a minimum academic requirement for entry into specific courses. Each institution sets its own entry requirements, so they may vary from one education provider to another and from one course or faculty to another.

Some courses also require relevant work experience and this may be particularly important in relation to MBA and other postgraduate studies.
You might have to provide evidence of your academic achievements and English language proficiency to assess whether you meet the entry requirements for your proposed course of study in Australia. Institutions will look at the level and content of the study you have completed in Australia or your home country.

If you do not meet the entry requirements you can enrol in secondary school in Australia or Foundation Studies, which prepare you for further study in Australia and reserve a provisional place in your proposed course. Bridging courses, such as a Master Qualifying program, are also offered.


Apply for your course

We can provide you with a list of Australian institutes, application forms and advice.
A study in Australia application form will ask you to list the course you are applying for and your second and third course preferences at the same institution. Some additional documentation needed may include:
– Previous study details, including copies of qualifications already awarded to you.
– Evidence of English language proficiency (for undergraduate and postgraduate studies and vocational education and training)

After completing your study in Australia application form, you should attach all the required documents and submit them direct to us. You may wish to use registered post.

Unsure what documents to include? Then contact us. If you are currently in the process of completing other studies, then you could get provisional acceptance on the basis of your previous academic performance in anticipation that your final examination results do not differ greatly from your previous grades.


Confirmation of Enrollment

After the education provider assesses your study in Australia application documents, they will advise if you meet the entry requirements and send you a letter of offer if you are accepted.

Once you receive the offer letter you may be required to submit yourself to a pre-visa assessment before the institution issues an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE), which is the only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.

Before applying for the student visa, you may have to pay tuition fees. We will advise you of specific requirements. You are generally required to pay at least one semester of fees.


Overseas Student Health Cover – OSHC

All students must show evidence that they have health insurance cover before a visa can be issued. In many cases you can pay the compulsory medical insurance premium (Overseas Student Health Cover, (OSHC)) to the educational institution, which will pay the health insurer on your behalf.

If you are a student sponsored by AusAID you will not need to pay the OSHC yourself, but will need to provide proof that AusAID supports your application.

Norwegian students are exempt from this requirement. Swedish students who are studying under CSN International (the Swedish National Board of Student Aid) who have obtained insurance through CSN are also exempt from the OSHC requirement.



International students must have a valid student visa for the duration of their study in Australia. You should check with the Australian Embassy in your country to see if you are eligible to apply for a student visa before obtaining official confirmation of your enrolment and paying tuition fees.
You will only be issued with a student visa for study in Australia if you seek to undertake a full-time course that is accredited and registered by the Australian Government. The Department of Home Affairs also has offices in many countries, please check their website for locations. You must apply for this visa online. You should be able to complete it with minimal assistance. The DHA website has visa information available which provides more detailed information on student visa requirements.



Your education provider will send you a confirmation of enrolment and an information package. This package will contain information on your selected course, accommodation options and important events during the first weeks of study such as orientation week.

It may include information about the city you are going to, its climate, clothing requirements, information about local customs, shopping facilities, transport, banking, mail and telephone services, estimated cost of living and the amount of money you should bring with you when you first arrive.

It may also explain arrangements made for your welcome and settling-in period and the date by which you are expected to arrive. Contact your education provider if you don’t receive this material before leaving your country. You may have to attend a pre-departure briefing and you must contact your institution or your agent to arrange this.

10 – Arranging finances, transport and accommodation

We can assist you in finding cheap flights and arrange a home stay or other accommodation for 2-4 weeks. You can find permanent accommodation during this time.

The Australian Government requires that you inform your educational institution of your address in Australia within seven days of arrival. You will need to notify them of any further changes of address within seven days.

If you have not asked the institution to arrange accommodation you will need to book your own. Campus noticeboards and newspapers advertise other students looking for people to share units or houses.

All students under 18 years of age must have their accommodation approved by their education provider. The international office of your institution may be able to help you find suitable accommodation, either on-campus or off-campus, once you arrive in Australia.

You should also exchange some money for Australian Dollars. Australian traveler cheques are accepted in most major cities and there are auto bank facilities that accept major credit cards.

The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) website, can give you information in a range of foreign languages, on what you cannot bring into Australia and what cannot be sent to you through the mail from outside Australia. Anything sent to you from overseas cannot be packaged in cases that have formerly contained fruit, vegetables or timber.

11 – Arrival & Orientation 

You will most likely be unfamiliar with transport when you first arrive. The institution in which you have enrolled will send someone to meet you at the airport and take you to your accommodation if you have organized this arrangement with them.

You will be told how to get to your chosen institution on the day of your orientation. You may not receive the same orientation as the locals and may have special orientation at your institution from the international officer. They will introduce you to the institution’s rules and regulations and help you with your timetable and any questions.

Study in Australia

Finally, start you studies in Australia! Remember, you must stay with the institution for 12 months or for the duration of the course provided it is less than 12 months in length. You may change your course but to do so you must apply to DHA to change education provider. There may be a fee for changing courses or institution.
It is important to comply with Australian student visa conditions for the duration of your stay. Under Government legislation, students who break their visa conditions will face mandatory visa cancellation.

During your studies, you can leave Australia and re-enter if you hold a valid visa. Otherwise you will need to reapply, pay the charge and meet the current visa requirements.

Your student visa is not valid for permanent residence in Australia or for residence after you have completed your studies. You are obliged to leave Australia at the end of your studies. If you wish to enrol in a new course you need to apply for a new student visa before your current visa expires. If your current student visa has a no further stay condition you may not be granted a new student visa while you are in Australia.