John Forrest Senior High School
John Forrest Senior High School Information
John Forrest Senior High School seeks to be a supportive learning community committed to providing a challenging, diverse and inclusive curriculum that engages and motivates students to reach their potential and encourage excellence.
John Forrest Senior High School is located in a quiet residential suburb 10 minutes north of Perth city centre. It is well serviced by the Morley bus station and the Bayswater train station.
Close by is the Galleria shopping complex, one of the largest in the state, with its range of cafes, food halls, cinemas and department stores. Students have access to nearby recreational facilities including the Morley Recreational Centre and the Bayswater Waves swimming pool.
John Forrest Senior High School has a diverse multicultural population and welcomes international students. It has students from Japan and fosters relationships with sister schools in Japan and Indonesia.
The school hosts an annual exchange program to Japan. The school is well equipped with banks of computers, internet access in every classroom, a large gymnasium, specialist rooms for music, design and technology, drama, media and photography and a new dance studio and science lecture theatre. The majority of rooms are air-conditioned.
There are extensive playing fields, basketball courts, tennis courts and a turf cricket wicket. John Forrest Senior High School offers opportunities for students to become involved in a range of co-curricular sporting programs and organises annual interstate sporting tours.
The school has an excellent academic record and provides a wide range of courses. Over consecutive years John Forrest Senior High School tertiary entrance students have demonstrated academic excellence by receiving Certificates of Excellence and
Distinction. Furthermore, the school has been placed in the top ten schools in a range of Curriculum Council subjects. John Forrest Senior High School has won a number of education innovation awards and has been commended in equal opportunity and diversity awards.
John Forrest Senior High School runs vigorous mathematics and science programs. It is a leader in environmental education boasting its own remnant bushland, permaculture garden and recycling program. John Forrest is a frequent winner of the Quest for Excellence Environmental Education Award.
Graduates of John Forrest Senior High School gain entry to university courses in engineering and science as well as to courses such as commerce, law, media and education. Other graduates enter TAFE courses such as surveying, hospitality and
- Italian and Japanese (Years 8-12)
These programs are available to international fee paying students. Interested students should contact the school for information about application procedures.
- Cricket Academy (Years 8-12) is a DET-endorsed program which provides coaching for students under the auspices of the Western Warriors and the leadership of a former Australian test cricketer. Students are selectedfor this program through trials and have access to the facilities at the WACA cricket ground.
- Netball (Years 8-12) gives talented students the opportunity to develop their skills under the tuition of accredited coaches. Selection is through trials.
- Tennis (Years 8-12) extends the skills of talented students who are selected through trials.
- Conservation and Land Management (Years 11-12) gives interested students the opportunity to complete certificate programs in this area that are recognised by TAFE colleges.
- In-step (Years 11-12) offers students traineeships in conjunction with Swan TAFE college. Students spend one day a week at a training institution and one day a week in the workplace in areas of career interest such as the public sector, retail, engineering and mechanical.
- Academic Challenge (Years 8-10) fosters academic excellence in mathematics and science under the guidance of the academic challenge coordinator.
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
John Forrest Senior High School runs an English as a Second Language class for students from Years 8 to 12. It also has an English as a Second Language teacher who provides a mix of individual, small group and in class support as the need arises.
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
Caring for the personal development of students is an important concern at John Forrest Senior High School. The student services team, consisting of year coordinators, a nurse, psychologist, careers advisor and chaplain, represents a highly skilled team of professionals who are always available to meet the diverse needs of the students.
Year coordinators run a study skills program for all students and the international students coordinator provides individual support to international students.