Smithfield State High School
Smithfield State High School overview
Smithfield State High School is located in the beautiful Northern Beaches district, approximately 25 kilometres from the
centre of Cairns city. The school is sited in tropical grounds skirted by mountains, less than one kilometre from the beaches and rainforest.
A pedestrian underpass connects the school to the local campus of James Cook University which is a 10 minute picturesque walk. Buses link the school to all locations. The school is adjacent to the swimming pool, library, sporting and recreation centre.
3 reasons to choose Smithfield State High School
- Friendly school environment in beautiful part of Queensland
- Small cohort of international students enables greater integration
- Excellent extra-curricular program with plenty of variety
The Smithfield State High School origins date back to 1983. The school is in the northern beaches district and about 25 kilometres away from Cairns. There has been a steady increase in the number of enrolments from speakers of languages other than English. Smithfield High is a centre for excellence in Mathematics, Science, Information Technology & Baseball.
The curriculum at Smithfield State High School is divided into junior and senior departments. There are greater opportunities for specialisation at the senior level.
Student Support Services.
Smithfield State High School offers international students ;
- Teaching & Learning support
- Guidance & Counselling
- School Chaplaincy services
- Community Education Counselling
- School Nurse Support
Smithfield State High School is a member of the Queensland Schools International Network and runs special homestay and International student programs for international students.
- Certificate III & IV in Multimedia
- Certificate II in ITS (Software Applications)
- Cisco A+ Certified Technician Course
- Multimedia and Programming courses in Years 8 to 12
- ICT Industry Study Tours
- Radio broadcasting, management and production Film, Television & New Media production
- Industry based technology and engineering programs.
- Outdoor education (canoeing, abseiling, snorkelling, camps, bronze medallion and hiking
- Performing & Visual Arts
- Scuba diving course
- Cycas Circus troupe
- Cheerleading squads for competitions
- Dance groups
- Formula One in Schools competition
- Instrumental Music program
- Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- Eight multimedia laboratories
- School radio station
- Agricultural plot
- Industry standard film and TV studios
- Wireless access across entire school
- Engineering and robotics labs
- Video conferencing & online support facilities
- Four-hole golf course and sports facilities
- Dual Enrolment Agreements - James Cook University & Tropical North Queensland TAFE
- AIIA Secondary School category national i-award
- Numerous digital media awards
- Numerous Information & Communication Technology Awards annually
- Scholarships to universities in Queensland and New South Wales annually
- TJ Ryan Award
- Gold Medal in Regional Fanfare competition
- Vicki Wilson Cup in Netball state finalist