The GAP State High School
The GAP State High School has been serving Brisbane's western suburbs with distinction since 1960. The school is located in a beautiful natural setting that ensures optimum learning outcomes. It distinguishes itself in academic, cultural and sporting endeavours.
The Gap State High School has a student enrolment of about 800 and it offers all students an opportunity at holistic learning in a supportive local community environment. This approach is seen as beneficial to a student's success in later life. Hence, a student's interaction with his/her school and local community is seen as vital to success.
Cooperation and support between parents, teachers and students has enhanced student learning outcomes and provided a supportive environment for the whole school community as well as the wider community.
The Gap State High School motto is "Educating the whole person in a supportive Local School Community". Learning is enhanced if it is supported by the wider community. Therefore, the school is keen to engage the wider community in constructive projects that may benefit the wider community. This Wholesome Approach is what distinguishes GAP from the rest.
The school seeks to achieve its' goal by facilitating student learning with time, money and resources where applicable. At every turn, the interest of the student is looked after so that they are not deprived of a qauality education. The school tries to meet all their learning needs and requirements in a systematic manner.
Students from Years 8 to 10 study core subjects such as English, Maths, Science, Social Science, Information Technology. Senior Students from Years 11 to 12 study English, Maths and GOALS. GOALS stands for GAP Outdoor Adventure and Leadership Studies. It has five components - Physical Education, Life Education, Leadership, Community Service & Adventure Education. The GOALS program provide students with an opportunity to enhance their communication skills.
Beyond school hours, the GOALS program is supported by the Community based Sports Program. It allows the wider community to participate in the affairs of the school as a GAP High team.
The Gap State High School overview
3 reasons to choose The Gap State High School
- Strong tradition of academic excellence in a supportive school community
- Beautifully landscaped grounds with modern computer, arts and sporting facilities and programs
- Unique leadership, adventure and personal development program with a state-of-the-art adventure training centre
- GOALS (The Gap Outdoor Adventure and Leadership Studies)
- Business and communication technologies
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Drama, music, film and television
- Graphics and visual art
- Industrial skills
- Information processing and technology
- Instrumental music program, choir
- Clubs - Adventurers, chess, graphic design and climbing
- Debating and public speaking
- Art excellence and art academy
- Stage, sound and lighting crew
- Theatrical and dramatic presentations
- Promotional video production
- State-of-the-art performing arts centre
- Computer labs
- Independent learning centre
- Film and television editing suites
- Industrial technology facility
- Start Program with QUT
- Enhanced Studies Program with UQ
- Partnership with QLD College of Art
- QANTM College
- Finalists - Queensland Debating
- Quality homestay with local families
- Proven record of strong international student participation in all school activities