Warnbro Community High School
Warnbro Community High School Information
Warnbro Community High School is situated 50 kilometres south of Perth city centre close to magnificent coastal scenery and safe, sandy beaches. Residents of the area enjoy recreational activities such as crabbing, fishing, water skiing and surfing. The school is close to the Rockingham City shopping centre with its major department stores, and nearby cinemas, cafes and restaurants of Rockingham.
Warnbro Community High School has an emphasis on studies in technology, the environment and the arts. The technology facilities are state-of-the-art and students have won national and international recognition in information technology and robotics.
Sixty students from Years 8 to 12 participate in the cocurricular Bushranger Conservation and Land Management Cadet program. They study the local environment and use the facilities at the Rockingham environmental centre. Cadets also attend camps to study the environment in other areas of the state.
In the areas of the arts, students have achieved recognition in dance, music and drama.
The school prides itself on designing programs of study to suit the individual needs of students. The school has successfully hosted exchange students from all over the world, from countries such as Argentina, Denmark, Germany and Japan. Warnbro Community High School has won the Australian School of the Year prize for innovation and inclusivity.
Teaching facilities are superb, including a purpose-built technology centre which is of university standard, an engineering block, a lecture theatre, theatres for dance and drama performances, hospitality facilities and art and dance studios. Participation in sport is important to students at Warnbro Community High School. The 11 hectares of the school grounds include sporting ovals, a full court gymnasium with sprung floor and outdoor floodlit tennis courts. The school also uses the facilities at the neighbouring Rockingham Leisure Centre. Students have the opportunity to participate in every imaginable sport.
- Indonesian (Years 8-12)
These programs are available to international fee paying students. Interested students should contact the school for information about application procedures.
- Murdoch University Foundation course (Year 12) gives selected students the opportunity to gain first year university credits while still at secondary school.
- Digital Media (Years 11-12) is a Vocational Education and Training program using state-of-the-art equipment.
- Environmental Studies (Years 11-12) is offered to interested students and focuses on coastal environment, sea grass, dune and ocean studies. Successful students gain credit for further studies in TAFE courses.
- Traineeships (Years 11-12) in retail, information technology, applied technology, hospitality and early childhood studies give interested students the opportunity to gain accreditation for TAFE courses in these areas.
- Kwinana Industry Excellence in Education program (Years 10-12) offers traineeships and apprenticeships with direct links to various industries.
- Elite Swimming program (Years 8-10) is a co-curricular program which offers specialist training to talented students selected through trials.
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
Warnbro Community High School has staff trained in teaching English as a Second Language who can support students from non-English speaking backgrounds.
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
The student services team consisting of a psychologist, nurse, chaplain and two full time student services consultants, provides course counselling for the future, a student mentoring program and ongoing communication with parents. Warnbro Community High School offers Saturday morning classes in tertiary entrance subjects and after school homework classes in English, mathematics, science and society and environment.
Warnbro Community High School has excellent support mechanisms in place to provide contact with parents of students who are living away from home.