Atherton State High School
Atherton State High School School overview
Atherton State High School has a long reputation as a provider of a relevant, high quality educational experience is
reflected in the accomplishments and initiatives implemented during the school year.
The school continues to strike a sophisticated balance between the need to change with the times and the desire to remain true to its history and ethos. Atherton State High provides educational opportunities for students from years 8 to 12 in a
co-educational setting. The school offers a diverse curriculum to allow students to develop an individual and flexible learning pathway to success.
Year Established 1952
Number of Students 965
3 reasons to choose Atherton State High School
- Our location offers access to the Great Barrier Reef, the Australian Outback and World heritage listed rainforest.
- A highly regarded school with a diverse curriculum with flexible delivery.
- Our rural lifestyle is relaxed but the convenience of the city is only a short drive to Cairns. This offers a chance to experience a greater range of cultural experiences during your stay in Australia
Outdoor Education- canoeing, hiking, mountain biking, bushwalking.
Agriculture Subjects- Agricultural Science, Animal Studies, Rural Operations
Music, Music Industry Studies, Visual Art, Art and Craft, Drama
Hospitality, Childcare Studies
- Rodeo’s and horse sports
- Rainforest walks
- Trips to the Great Barrier Reef
- Sport such as hockey, cricket, futsul, judo and tennis
- School encourages participation in local town festival
- ‘Pop Stars’ school supported local musical competition
- school entry in local agricultural shows in poultry, cattle, goats and vegetables
- Large Community Hall (2 Basketball court sized)
- School farm with animals
- Recording Studio
- Outdoor Stage
- Two large playing ovals
- Large shade areas
- TAFE located on school grounds
We have recently been named Vocational Education School of the Year 2007, for the second time.
- Bi-annual school musical
- School events catered for by Hospitality students
- Bi-annual production of a school music CD
- Student ‘Art Gallery’ exhibitions
- Students of child care studies participate in local ‘Under 8’s week’
- School subjects offer nationally registered academic competitions.