Study to Migrate - Australian Courses that offer Pathways to PR

If you want to emigrate to Australia, you can increase your chances by training in a profession that is sought after in Australia. Various education providers offer courses for international students.

Needs some advice about studying in Australia? We work with an Australian immigration agency that specializes in immigration advice. We help those seriously considering starting a new life in Australia with comprehensive immigration services. OUR GOAL is to help you achieve your goals of obtaining temporary or permanent residence in Australia. We have found that our customers have different needs for support. That is why we leave the choice to you to choose the service that best suits your situation.

Find out more

Registered immigration agents provide a wide range of services. These include:

  • Technical advice and information on all visa categories
  • Identification and explanation of the most suitable visa
  • Prepare full visa applications, both for Australia and overseas applications
  • Consultation with the Immigration Service / Australian Embassy to avoid delays in processing and misinterpretation of information
  • Support in looking for a job through appropriate contacts to employment agencies
  • Information and forwarding of documents to certified NAATI translators
  • Recommendation and help with enrolling for suitable courses within Australia that support obtaining a permanent residence permit
  • Extensive support with the entire move to Australia and the integration

We explain the complex requirements of the immigration process clearly so that you can easily understand the reasons for our recommendations and procedures. Through careful explanations and mutual agreements, you will be included in the process step by step, making the process as stress-free as possible for you.

Vocational Courses for PR

In general, we can say that anyone who completes vocational training for 2 years  (Certificate / Diploma) and thus achieves a sought-after professional qualification that is on the “Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)” has a good chance of getting a PR visa for Australia.

However, the MLTSSL list changes regularly, which is why you should definitely consider individual advice on emigrating to Australia from a migration agent.

Many leisure travelers and backpackers who have spent a year or two in Australia want to live in Australia forever. Long sandy beaches, clear blue skies, a European lifestyle, the warmth of the Australian population and a positive economic situation attract many foreigners to Australia. But immigration is not that easy. Those who do not have a suitable job for direct immigration to Australia and cannot apply for another visa to get a permanent visa directly can consider vocational training in Australia to obtain a long-term visa with working rights in Australia. The most important step here is the selection of the “right” occupation, because this must later be actually approved for a permanent visa.

If you want to emigrate to Australia through vocational training, you must attend a full-time course in Australia for at least 2 years and obtain a qualification that is on the “Skilled Occupation List” (SOL). The SOL can be found on the Immigration Services website at It should be noted that this list can change about once or twice a year, i.e. Professions can be added or deleted from the list. To what extent professions from other visa lists are possible (e.g. ENS, 457 List, State Sponsorship List etc.), you should consult with an immigration agent.

We cannot provide a complete list of possible professions, however we can only refer to our partner immigration agent. However, it should be said that such a person can only advise to a limited extent. The background to this is that the legal provisions in immigration law are regularly adapted. This means that anyone who decides to study an occupation that is on the SOL list cannot be certain that the occupation will still be considered for immigration in 2-4 years, as the list changes from time to time.

Although the educational institutes in Australia offer a wide range of courses to international students, only selected professions are considered for future immigration. This mainly included skilled trades in the automotive mechanic, diesel motor mechanic, carpenter, boilermaker, welder, fabricator, sheet metal worker, joiner, etc. . There are a few exceptions that are not in the manual sector, such as training as a dental technician, although these courses are usually more expensive (A $ 35,000 and more).

Those who have successfully completed vocational training in a profession on SOL in Australia can apply for an Australian work visa. For many, this means first the first step after study is  applying for a ‘Skilled Graduate (Temporary) Visa’, which enables 18-months, full-time work rights in Australia, in which you can gain the work experience required for a “Skilled Visa” and improve your English language skills in order to have the profession recognised by the competent authority. The recognition of the profession is an essential step in order to be able to apply for a permanent skilled visa. Alternatively, you can use the time to find an Australian employer who can sponsor you with a work visa.

It is therefore advisable not only to consult a migration agent before the start of the course in order to find the right profession, but also shortly before the end of your professional training in Australia in order to initiate the further steps for a permanent visa.

Unfortunately, ALL other vocational training does not lead to a subsequent work visa in Australia! This means that those who take a certificate, diploma or advanced diploma in a course such as business, marketing, event management, tourism, animal care etc. cannot apply for a work visa in Australia after their training. Such students can only continue their studies and complete with a bachelor’s degree in order to then receive a 2-year temporary visa with working rights.

Popular professional courses that may lead to PR:

Auto Mechanic

Air Conditioning and Refrigeration

Boat Building

Brick Layer



Early Childhood Education



Higher Education for PR

If you study in Australia for at least 2 years and receive a Bachelor DegreeMaster Degree or Doctor Degree, you can then apply for a 2-year work visa. However, if you intend to emigrate to Australia in order to obtain a PR visa, you should first check the “Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)” to see whether your Australia qualification is conducive to immigration. To avoid making the wrong decisions about your chances of immigrating to Australia, you should ask a migration agent. Although there are minor costs for immigration advice, you should bear in mind that without professional advice on emigrating to Australia you will often take wrong steps and you may even lose a lot of money or have wrong hopes.

Anyone who decides to study in Australia in order to get a permanent residence permit should think in advance about which professions are possible, because one of the most important points for a permanent visa is the selection of the “right” course that enables immigration. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to present a complete list of the possible study subjects for immigration, as the list of suitable professions can change every year. In general, you can use the “Skilled Occupation List” (SOL) as a guide. ATTENTION:

The SOL changes at least once a year, sometimes more frequently, so it is advisable to discuss the study options with a migration agent, who can point out the possibilities, requirements for a later permanent visa and also the risks. A full undergraduate degree in Australia takes at least 3 years (e.g. in business, science, IT, creative arts, social science, etc.). Individual courses of study are also completed over 4 years (e.g. engineering, teaching, law, psychology, social work).

If you want to emigrate to Australia to study, you must have completed at least 2 years of study in Australia in a higher education course and obtained a qualification that is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) or on one of the many other visa lists (e.g. ENS, 457 List, State Sponsorship List etc.). This means that you can complete a bachelor’s degree or a 2-year master’s degree to significantly increase your chances of getting a permanent visa.

ATTENTION: A Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma, which you get after completing a 1 or 1.5-year master’s program in order to reach the required 2 years, will NOT be accepted! However, you can take 2 one-year master’s degrees to achieve your goal. Likewise, previous professional training (diploma, advanced diploma) in Australia are not counted as a relevant study period, as they were not completed as ‘higher education’. Precise planning before starting the training is therefore important. NOTE: In some cases, Bachelor degrees are offered with a shorter study period. This means that you can complete the 3-year program in just 2 to 2.5 years by also studying in the summer semester (Nov-Jan). If this is the case, an analogous rule applies here and the 2 years are “converted” accordingly, so that the shortest period of study is at least 16 months. 

Where can I study a higher education degree that leads to a sought after occupation? The educational offerings at Australian education providers are quite diverse for international students. However, there are only certain professions that can later be used to apply for a permanent visa in Australia. At the beginning of 2013, this included fields of study such as nursing, accounting, teaching, IT, engineering, social work, psychology, etc. A $ 25,000 per year at Universities. It some cases it may be cheaper to complete a bachelor’s degree at a private college or vocational school (TAFE). Those who successfully complete their studies in a suitable profession in Australia and get this recognised by the responsible authorities can then apply for a permanent visa in Australia. If you need to gain work experience or improve your English skills before your profession is recognised, you can apply for a ‘Post-Study Work Visa’ and receive 2-years of full-time work rights. During this time, you can either meet the outstanding requirements for a “Skilled Visa” or find an employer who will sponsor you. 

What if I complete a course that doesn’t offer PR pathway? While a subject that leads directly to a permanent visa in Australia is most likely to be recommended, other bachelor’s degrees for can also be considered. In 2011, the regulations on student visas as well as possible subsequent visas for later immigration were thoroughly reconsidered. According to this regulation, students of all disciplines who complete an Australian Bachelor Degree, Master Degree or Doctor Degree in Australia and have studied in the program in Australia for at least 2 years can apply for a ‘Post-Study Work Visa’ after graduation. For professions that are not on the SOL, this means that the student has 2 years to look for an employer in Australia and to prove their skills so that they can be sponsored for a work visa. With this variant you should make sure that the chosen occupation is at least on the ENS list (Employer Nomination Scheme), as this list is more extensive than the SOL and leads to a permanent visa. This means that fields of study such as business, marketing, event management, hospitality management, etc. are another option for immigration.

Some non-trade courses that may lead to PR:

Social Worker






Gaining Practice Experience for PR

Recognition of the professional qualification in Australia is an essential factor in applying for the permanent visa. Vocational training in Australia In technical vocational training, practical experience is often taken in a simulated work environment, which can be considered work experience. This often takes 200 to 400 hours. Depending on the approving authority, however, more hours may have to be proven before you can have your profession recognised. Some authorities also expect you to complete a practical test in order to prove your knowledge and to prove that you not only have theoretical knowledge, but are “job-ready”. Therefore, students should try to get a part-time job in a suitable occupation from the 2nd year of study in order to be able to prove the necessary work experience as soon as possible and to obtain a permanent visa. If it is difficult to find a job, you may want to consider an unpaid internship in order to preserve work experience. Our educational consultants will be happy to support you in selecting a course with work experience and in organising an internship.

Apply for an Internship Placement!

Please note that most Internships in Australia are unpaid

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

Apply to Become a Demi Pair!

Study Enquiry

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

English Course Enquiry

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

High School Enquiry

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

Get an Individual Assessment

By submitting the form, I agree to the
Privacy Policy.