Student Visa Australia

Find out about the Australian Student Visa and get FREE visa assistance when applying to study in Australia with us!

If you’re planning to study in Australia for longer than 3 months you are required to hold an Australian Student Visa.
Our registered education consultants can help you find the right course and assist you with applying for your visa for FREE!

There are more and more international students studying in Australia each year. Australia has some of the best educational institutes in the world, highly qualified teachers, unbeatable facilities, large campuses and a supportive environment.

From high school exchange students to University students the one thing all these students have in common, no matter where they are from and what or where they are studying they will all require an Australian Student Visa.

You can find exact details about the Australian Student Visa here.

Obtaining a Student Visa in Australia

If you’ve decided Australia is where you’d like to study, you’ve made an excellent decision. In addition, if you think you’d like to do some part time work or internship during your visit, there are a few guidelines that need to be met before you start applying for jobs.

It is vital that all international students have a student visa before they start studying in Australia. You will receive an offer letter from the institute you are intending to study with, and it is up to you whether or not you take up this offer.

Applying for an Australian student visa can be done through your agent, the Australian Government will then let you know if you have successfully obtained your visa.

It could take some time (a few months in some circumstances) for you to get your student visa Australia application approved as it mainly depends on your nationality and the educational sector in which you will be entering into. You can contact your local Go To Australia office for more information on the student visa Australia process.

If taking up an offer you will need to pay some or all of your coursefees, after the fees have gone through they will send you a confirmation letter confirming you have taken up a student place at their institution. You will need this confirmation letter to apply for your student visa. It is important to remember to get your Australian student visa before commencing your studies.

With a first-class education system, affordable cost of living and friendly people, it is no wonder Australia attracts its fair share of international students.

If the course of interest is longer than three months, however, it is necessary to, first, obtain the correct Australian student visa from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship. Along with opening the doors to a quality education, obtaining an Australian student visa also has additional advantages.

Individuals in Australia on an Australian student visa:

  • Are entitled to study for a period longer than three months
  • Are eligible to work part-time
  • Are entitled to subsidized student health coverage

Additionally, students are entitled to apply to work full-time during breaks in the school year.  Family members who are interested in joining the student in Australia may also be eligible to obtain a visa; full details can be obtained from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Prior to obtaining an Australian student visa one must first be accepted into a full-time Australian educational institution, and have received their Confirmation of Enrollment.

Work and Study in Australia

The Australian Student Visa allows you to work 40 hours per fortnight during your studies, and full-time during official study breaks.

Student visa holders are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight. Studying in Australia is time consuming and exciting. If you are financially strained or have the time to work then this guide will help with looking and applying for a job in Australia. It is important to remember though that you are in Australia to study and this should come first. Potential employers need to be aware of your study load, timetables and assessments and exams which may be coming up. If a job does not fit with your study load do not take it.

There are still certain rules to abide by, visa holders can not work until their course has commenced, they can only work 20 hours per week even during holidays.

Before coming to Australia, you will need to obtain your Student Visa for Australia. Once you have this visa, you are permitted to work in Australia during your stay. But before you rush into things, the Australian Student Visa does come with some restrictions that you should be aware of.

While studying in Australia, the Australian Student Visa allows you to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while you’re taking part in studying. The 20-hour limit doesn’t include any work you may be required to complete as part of your study course. When you’re not studying, during study breaks and holidays, you are free to work as many hours as you like.

While you are in Australia, your visa limits you to only start working your course commence. After the commencement date, you’re free to start working 20 hours per week.

Also, if you’re traveling to Australia with a family member, this same rule applies to them. They are also only permitted to work 20 hours per week, at all times. This rule is only void if your family members have started a masters or doctorate course, they are able to work unlimited hours.

Remember, before you start working in Australia you will need to apply for and receive a Tax File Number, or TFN.

To apply for a Tax File Number you will need to contact the Australia Tax Office. The process of obtaining a Tax File Number is relatively straight forward, but is mandatory before your start working.

As students require a more flexible timetable, the most convenient fields of work are usually in the hospitality industry. To find a job, students can look in local newspapers or online. Websites such as and have many job listings on them.

Applying for jobs can either be done online, through the mail or in person. You will need to include a cover letter and resume.

Resumes need to include up to date information, including employment history, education and qualifications, references (references are required from previous employers) and your personal details (these include name, address, phone number). Do not include a photograph, height or weight in your resume. It is optional to put your date of birth.

Ensure both resumes and cover letters are written in good English.

If an employer is interested in you they will contact you and organise a time for an interview. During the interview they will talk about the job, ask questions and show you around the place of work. This is a good time to bring up any issues about your timetable and study and work. Dress well, and listen closely. This is your first impression on a potential employer, make it a good one.

If they are still interested they will either contact you at a later date, arrange a trial or another interview. Employers in hospitality will usually require a trial to make sure the potential employee is right for the job. Trials should be paid.

It is up to the employee to make sure they do not exceed 40 hours work a week. It is also their responsibility to dress and act appropriately and turn up for work on time.

It is the employers responsibility to pay the employee at the correct rate. They must provide a pay slip, they must pay the employee on a regular basis and provide adequate shifts. Most issues should be sorted with the employer, if issues are still not resolved contact your relevant workplace ombudsman.

Before starting the new job, be sure to have shifts organised and know exactly what you need to do on the job. If you are unsure ask questions. Shifts should be given to you at the beginning of each week or fortnight. Most meal breaks are not paid for although employees must take them. If you are unable to work a shift be sure that you let the employer know as soon as possible so they can make other arrangements.

Employees are required to give 2 weeks of written notice when ending employment, this must be given directly to the employer. As must be done if the employer is ending the employment. If an employer is ending a contract, be sure it is for a genuine reason and not on the basis of race, gender, religion, political beliefs, or disability as this is illegal.

 Meeting the Australian Student Visa Requirements


You will need to meet the following requirements to be able to obtain a Student Visa for Australia.

A Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) determines a student’s eligibility for a student visa and is necessary if your country is at Assessment Level 3 or 4. This involves obtaining a letter of offer from your chosen institution and submitting your visa application with all supporting documentation to your local DIMIA office for assessment. If the assessment is favourable, you will be issued with a PVA approval letter to give to your education provider authorising them to issue you with an eCoE. You will be also advised to pay the tuition fees and OSHC premium and undergo medical tests. The student visa will be granted when the Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and all other requirements are satisfied.

You can be granted an Australian student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis.

A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students.

An Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) is issued by your Australian education provider and is the only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications. Depending on your country of nationality and your principal course of study you may have to undergo a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) before an institution issues an eCoE. The institution will advise you of its requirements but generally, it will require payment of at least one semester of course fees before issuing an eCoE. A copy of your eCoE must be submitted to your local Immigration office before a student visa can be issued.

Information collected through the eCoE process includes the student visa application, visa grant and visa compliance data from a student’s arrival in Australia and course commencement through to their departure from Australia.

All applicants for a Student visa must show they are coming to Australia temporarily to gain a quality education. This means you should show that you intend on returning to your home country after the completion of your studies.

However, is not intended to exclude students who develop skills Australia needs and who then go on to apply for permanent residence after their studies. You can find more information here.

Don’t worry. Our student counsellors will help you prepare your GTE statement when you apply to study in Australia through us!

OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) is compulsory for international students under Australian law and is a stipulation on your visa before you are allowed to enter the country.  And any lapse on the student’s behalf in paying OSHC fees can put their student visa in danger, although you are protected from this risk if you are a Swedish or Norwegian citizen because your government has a government to government agreement with Australia. OSHC (Overseas Student Health Coverage) is roughly $450 annually.

When you have a temporary Student Visa, it is a requirement for you to have an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the length of your stay. This is a private insurance arrangement and the fee for it must be paid before the Visa is issued. It is renewed yearly. 

The Australian federal government has a website that has details on this and other issues related to OSHC that you can access, although your AA Education Agent would be the best person to talk to about it. Helping you find the right cover is also included in our free services!

When applying for your Australian student visa you may be required to show evidence of sufficient funds for your tuition fees, return flights and living costs for the duration of the student visa. This depends on the assessment level of your country and you’re chosen education provider.

The current yearly living costs determined by the Department of Home Affairs:

  • Student or guardian: AUD$20,290
  • Partner or spouse: AUD$7,100
  • Child: AUD$3,040

Our education counsellors will inform and explain to you what evidence you will require to show when you lodge your student visa.

Good Character 
Anyone entering Australia must be of good character. The information provided at the ‘Character Declaration’ section of the student visa application form is for character assessment purposes.

Students intending to study in Australia are required to meet the health requirements as stated in the Migration Regulations. Any additional family members or dependents are also required to meet these requirements. Students applying from low-risk countries such as Iceland, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Sweden are generally exempted from meeting these requirements. The forms and requirements for health checks include but are not limited to: Medical examination for an Australian visa, Radiological report on chest x-ray of an applicant for an Australian Student visa, any prescription spectacles or contact lenses that you may wear and where you have a known medical condition, any existing specialist reports.

Remember; International students are required to pay Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for themselves and their dependents.

In order to enter Australia, you must have no outstanding debt obligations to the Australian government or have made suitable arrangements to repay them.

Student Visa Australia If you are under 18

People under the age of 18 need to have suitable living arrangements organised, get the support and well being while they are in the country.  They must remain in the custody of a parent or guardian, or a relative over the age of 21 who is of good character. If the applicant under 18 has no family member’s in Australia than they must make suitable arrangements that have been approved by their education provider that meet the requirements according to the visa for adequate housing, support and general well being while they are studying in Australia.

If you are under the age of 18 and intending to reside in Australia with a custodian, then you are required to provide evidence of the relationship and that they hold a student guardian visa.

Australia is reputed as a country that has some of the leading educational institutions in the world. You can be part of the satisfied students from other countries who are studying in Australia. Your pursuit for education will be a unique experience with learning methods that encourage independent thinking that is full of creativity and innovation.

 Student Visa Australia – FAQ


Here are some commonly asked questions.

Australia’s overseas student program
The Australian Government operates an overseas student program that allows people who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents to study in Australia. Further information about the overseas student program is available from our agency.

In 2016 student visa Australia applications went up by over 20% while 280 000 student visa’s were granted by the Australian government, while student’s from nearly 200 countries made Australia home from anywhere between three months to six years while they finished their studies in a wide range of institutions from TAFE’s, to universities, secondary schools and vocational colleges.

So, Australia has a good reputation for producing high quality educational outcomes for international students who want to start their academic career in a professional environment that is rated alongside other developed countries in a favourable light.

You must have:

  • applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship assess students on the likelihood of them overstaying their visa period and becoming illegal immigrants by giving all students an assessment level that is in accordance with the risk of student’s from your country residing here permanently illegally. International students with the high assessment level will have to bring more documentation with them so they can prove the validity of their student visa Australia application. While students with an assessment level of (AL 1) will have to bring only what is required for an Australian student visa that is appropriate to their particular needs. And to find out what your country’s assessment level is and what documentation you will need for you student visa Australia application then you will have to contact the Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country. Or you can contact your Go To Australia Agent and she/he will assist you with the student visa Australia process in a professional and aptmanner.


Because you are an international student you do not have the opportunity to study part-time, but must remain in the full-time study during the time you are here that have been allotted to you as a part of your Australian student visa. So it would be difficult for you to earn some extra money while you are here. But remember that you can work full-time during semester breaks 20 hours a week during the semester. You will have to be enrolled in a course of study beforehand. So contact us to see if you have prepared all of the appropriate documentation and you are in their registry system as a full-time student before you go job hunting for that part-time job. Also, you would have to take into consideration whether you can work part-time and deal with a full-time study. So check with your education provider about how much coursework there is in your course of study and whether you can complete it to a satisfactory level while working on a part-time basis. Do not bite off more than you can chew, because time is money for international students and you do not want to waste money resitting coursework that you should have passed and now your visa is in peril of being terminated. So make an informed choice and if you can handle both than earn that extra cash to make your life a little bit better while you are studying in Australia during your academic career.

Depending on your needs your Go to Australia Agents can help you decide which visa suits your situation.  The stipulations for the Australian student visa are that you must maintain a satisfactory attendance record during your course of study and progress according to the guidelines set down by your educational provider while you are studying in Australia.

It states that you must continue to satisfy the requirements of your visa while you are a student in Australia and your course of study has to match the course of study fixed on your visa. Holders of a student visa also have to maintain a satisfactory standard of living and appropriate financial assistance so they do not have any undue financial hardship while they are completing their academic qualification in Australia.

Students with school-aged children who will be in the country for more than three months and need to make sure adequate living arrangements to be found and maintained for those dependants while the parents are studying in Australia.

GotoAustralia can help you with all of the issues related to getting your Student Visa Australia Application. GotoAustralia Agents can be contacted by email everyday, at any time during the day or night.

Information on student visa Australia requirements, working while studying, extending your stay and changing course or education provider.

Your local Go To Australia counsellor can assist you with student visa Australia applications.

For Australian student visas, the Australian government requires prospective applicants to :

  • Be enrolled in a registered CRICOS course (Your AA network counsellor can advise you on suitable courses!)
  • Meet health requirements (you may be required to undergo a health check).
  • Obtain health insurance Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
  • Have sufficient funds to cover all study and travel-related expenses while in Australia (at least AUD$12,000/year for living costs).
  • Meet English language proficiency requirements for their preferred course (IELTS test score may be a means of assessment).
  • Be of good character
  • Have arranged suitable accommodation if they are under 18.
  • For more information about Australian visa requirements, please contact us or alternatively visit the student visa FAQ.

Can I work in Australia while studying?

Yes. The Australian student visa allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight.

Can my dependents work in Australia?

There are no restrictions on postgraduate students.

How do I get a tax file number and do I need one?

You’ll need one for banking and employment purposes. You can get an application form from your education provider or your nearest post office.

Can I convert my tourist or business class visa to an Australian student visa while in Australia?

Applicants from Assessment Level 1 countries may well be permitted to convert to student visa within Australia.  Students are asked to contact the Department of Home Affairs to determine eligibility.

Applicants from Assessment Level 2, 3 and 4 countries need to apply for a student visa from outside Australia unless you have a special circumstance where you are permitted to apply onshore.

Can I apply for packaged programs under my student visa Australia application?

Yes, all students are permitted to do so.

Does the Australian embassy accept faxed copies of Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)?


Do I need to notify anyone about change in address?

For visa labels 8506, the notification must be made to the Department of Immigration & Citizenship within 2 working days before moving to a new address.
For visa labels 8533, the university must be notified within 7 days of moving to the new address.

Do I need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

Yes, it is compulsory by law to show evidence of OSHC when applying for an Australian student visa.

Can I change or modify my program after initial enrolment?

Yes, subject to approval from the relevant Head of School or nominee.
If the new course has a longer duration than the initial one, then the student will have to apply for a new Australian student visa.

Can I change to another institution within the first 12 months of my program?

This is subject to conditions attached to your Australian student visa. DHA may approve transfers only in exceptional circumstances.

What is a full-time program of study?

A full-time student takes 18 or more units of study in a term at the time of the census date and 36 or more units in a year at each of the three census dates.

Can I re-enrol in summer/spring school after withdrawing from a course?

No, this is not permitted.

What pace of academic progress is required to fulfil the Australian student visa requirements?

The Australian government considers students completing their programs within standard duration to be making satisfactory progress.

What is unsatisfactory progress?

Your education provider has specific guidelines addressing this.

What do I do if I am not happy with my academic progress?

You should contact the Academic Coordinator, Head of School/Faculty or the International Student Support Officer.

Can I extend my student visa in Australia?

This is possible if your current Australian student visa has no ‘further stay’ conditions.

If I cancel my program or enrolment, how soon will I have to leave Australia?

Please check your visa conditions.

If I complete my program early, am I entitled to remain in Australia for the duration of my student visa?


Can I work full-time?

  • Once you have commenced your study, and after you have been granted work permits, you may work full-time during vacations when your semester is not in session.
  • During session, you may work up to 40 hours per fortnight.
  • Family members of Masters and PhD students may apply for unrestricted work rights once the primary student has commenced his or her Masters or PhD course. This also applies to AusAid dependants of Masters and PhD students.

When can I travel to Australia and do I need a return ticket?

  • Your Australian student visa can be granted a maximum of 12 weeks (2 months and 3 weeks) before your course commencement date.
  • You may travel to Australia on a one-way ticket if you hold a student visa.

My course was completed on 30 November and my Australian student visa expires in March next year – what options do I have?

  • Do I have to leave Australia within 28 days of my course completion? No. You may remain in Australia until your visa expires or is cancelled. If you plan to remain in Australia you must apply for another visa, or depart Australia after your graduation.
  • I want to travel overseas. When should I make my further student visa Australia application? You need to make your application for a further student visa before your current visa expires and ensure that you comply with all your visa conditions. As a valid Australian student visa allows you multiple travels you can apply either before your departure or when you return to Australia. If your student visa is expiring shortly, you may be asked by airport staff on your arrival to Australia to demonstrate your intention to continue studying in Australia. Your confirmation of enrolment or letter of offer or graduation from your education provider should be used to demonstrate this intention.
  • Can I return to Australia after visiting family members overseas and apply for graduate skilled permanent residence? Yes, but you must ensure that you comply with all your visa conditions. You should consider making an application for a Graduate Skilled (subclass 497) visa before you depart Australia, as this visa is most applicable to your situation.

I am a resident outside my country of citizenship. Should I apply in my country of residence in my country of citizenship?

  • You must apply to the office in your country of residence.

I cannot get an appointment to sit an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test, but my education provider is satisfied with my level of English. Can I get a visa?

  • No. Where an IELTS test is required (for Assessment Level 3-5 applicants), then you must do the test before you make your student visa Australia application. This is a legislative requirement that cannot be waived.

My passport is expiring soon. How do I transfer my valid student visa to my new passport?

  • Your Australian student visa is linked to your passport. When you get a new passport, you should visit your nearest immigration office, get your information updated and your visa re-evidenced in your new passport.
  • You may also travel to Australia using both passports: the new one which is valid and the old one with your student visa affixed in it, as your Australian student visa is still valid whether the passport has expired or not.

When do I need to provide my residential address to my education provider?

Within seven days of their arrival. Students also need to notify personals seven days prior to address change.

Do I need to have Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC)?

Definitely is it a condition that students are to maintain adequate health insurance approved by the Australian Department of Health and Aged Care, for the duration of their program.

Can I change my program/course of study after I have enrolled at University?

If this condition is not stated on the student visa, a change of program/course of study shall be subject to the approval from the relevant Head of Department/School or Nominee. If a student visa is subject to Conditions, the student must not change their course of study without prior approval by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Can I change to another education provider within the first 12 months of my program?

If a student visa is subject to conditions on their student visa, the student must remain with the education institute with whom they originally enrolled with for the duration of the course if under 12 months, or the first 12 months of their course.

Every case is different and has a different condition to the individual so contacting us with any further quires is welcomed.

What is a ‘full-time program of study’?

To ensure that a students degree is complete in the minimum amount of time it is vital to maintain a full-time enrolment(100 credits). Students who fail to do this may be reported to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. In some circumstances, in some cases, it may be acceptable to enrol in a study load of fewer than 100 credits in any semester/trimester

What should I do if I have been terminated from my course/program?

International students are strongly advised to submit a written appeal against their academic status of Terminated.

Can I renew my student visa in Australia?

While students are currently enrolled in full-time study, they may renew their student visa in Australia as long as their current student visa is not subject to Conditions ‘no further stay’. It is advised that steps are taken to renew a student visa approximately one month before the existing student visa expires.

What do I do if my application for renewing my student visa is unsuccessful?

In some cases where an application is refused students may request a review of the decision.

Can I apply for a Leave of Absence?

No, international students are not permitted to take a formal Leave of Absence. In exceptional circumstances or illness, international students may be permitted to defer their studies and avoid visa cancellation.

Am I permitted to remain in Australia for the duration of my student visa if I complete my program one or more semesters before it expires?

No. If students wish to remain in Australia they must contact the Department of Immigration to find out eligibility.

How can I obtain more information on Australian Government Regulations relating to International Students?

– The Education Services for Overseas Student (ESOS) Act 2000
– The National Code of Practice.

More information is also available on the Department of Home Affairs website. Contact us for more information.

Registered education agents give advice about the student visa Australia application procedures.

What we do for you:

  • Free advice for all student enquiries
  • Guidance and help with completing all forms to apply for an Australian student visa
  • Advice on courses bespoke to your needs and requirements
  • Help before and after your application has been lodged
  • Guidelines to apply for an Australian student visa successfully.
  • Documents needed to be certified for the student visa Australia application form.
  • Tips on international student visa fees, healthcare plans for your stay in Australia and admission procedure to education providers in Australia.
  • Student Visa Australia eligibility assessments to help you know whether you have the basic requirements to get an Australian student Visa.
  • Suggestions for English language courses, English tests, foundation courses, and pathway studies to get a suitable Student Visa to further studies in Australia.

What happens next:

We can guide you through the minefield and red tape of applying for an Australian student visa whether you are a novice or a veteran.

Click contact us and provide some basic details and one of our professional agents will be in touch to help answer all your Student Visa Australia questions.

There are many companies available to help however we will take much of the hassle and explain everything in a way that is simple to understand and all for free.

After you have decided on the course that is right for you we will aid you on selecting the Australian student visa for your requirements and explain all of the costs involved while exploring the country to find the course in the state of your choice.

Getting a suitable Australian student visa is not easy. 

Often, Australia student visa applications are cancelled due to lack of documentation or because the forms are not filled in properly.

The Australia student visa is a temporary visa – valid for the duration of your course.

If you are not an Australian citizen but want to take advantage of the Australian education system, you may apply for an Australian student visa.

You may be entitled to apply for another temporary visa or even permanent residence before your visa expires. Otherwise, when you have completed your studies, you will be required to leave Australia.

Do you want to study in Australia? The Australian Student Visa allows you to bring your family members with you.

To apply for an Australian Student Visa you will need:

  1. a confirmation letter proving that you will be undertaking full-time study whilst in Australia,
  2. to be of sound health and good character,
  3. to have acceptable health insurance,
  4. have no outstanding debt to the Commonwealth of Australia and
  5. if you are under the age of 18 you will need to have a Student Guardian to be with you and have your own accommodation and welfare arranged for you during your stay in Australia.

You must let the Department of Immigration know of any changes to your circumstances whilst in Australia and be sure to leave before your Australian student visa expires. Please remember also you will not be able to work whilst in Australia unless your visa states so. Most international students get a work permit for Australia.

Your application will be based on an Assessment Level, this is a risk level decided upon by what course you are planning on studying and what country you are coming from. As well as ensuring all your Student Visa Australia application details are correct.

If you abide by all the regulations you should have a fantastic stay whilst in Australia. There is no better place to get a great education.

Student Visa Australia Applications

We will provide assistance to you when you apply for your Australian student visa. When you lodge your application, make sure that you comply with the Australian immigration law. All applications will be assessed and granted based on the information provided by the student. Therefore, it is very important that you include all required documents.

Apply for an Internship Placement!

Please note that most Internships in Australia are unpaid

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

Apply to Become a Demi Pair!

Study Enquiry

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

English Course Enquiry

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

High School Enquiry

By submitting the form, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy

Get an Individual Assessment

By submitting the form, I agree to the
Privacy Policy.