Melville Senior High School
Melville Senior High School Information
Melville Senior High School is a school where all students are provided with the opportunity to excel and are supported in the process of defining themselves as they prepare to find their place in the contemporary world.
Situated on a six hectare site in a leafy, quiet, south west suburb, Melville Senior High School has convenient access to the city of Perth. It is centrally located on public transport routes and close to Murdoch University, Challenger TAFE and community resources in both Fremantle and Perth.
Melville Senior High School welcomes students from many different backgrounds into a caring and supportive environment. It has a long and successful tradition of catering for international students from countries such as China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. The school is undergoing a refurbishment program that includes a comprehensive graphic design area, a dedicated science and technology design centre, library and performing/visual arts workshop spaces.
The school also has a gymnasium, swimming pool, tennis and basketball/netball
- Indonesian and Italian (Years 8-12)
These programs are available to international fee paying students. Interested students should contact the school for information about application procedures.
- Uni-track Media (Year 12) allows selected students to study media subjects at Murdoch University.
- Academic Extension (Years 8-10) offers extension activities in the humanities and the sciences. Students are offered places according to their performance in testing and academic records.
- Music (Years 8-10) provides students with an opportunity to complete tuition in a variety of instruments and to become involved in a wide range of ensembles and bands. Entry to the music program is by test and audition.
- Netball (Years 8-10) focuses on the development of skills and techniques directly linked to talent identification programs and leads to qualifications in coaching, umpiring and leadership in recreation studies. Students are selected for this program by testing and trials.
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
Melville Senior High School has had an Intensive English Language Centre for a number of years catering for students from Years 8 to 12. The aim of the centre is to help newly arrived migrant children assimilate into Western Australian government schools and to improve their English and literacy skills. Students are eligible to study English for up to four terms before entering a mainstream educational context where ongoing English as a Second Language support is maintained.
As well as the 11 teachers working in the centre, many other teachers in the school
are trained in teaching English as a Second Language.
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
A welcoming student services centre forms the cornerstone of pastoral care at Melville Senior High School. The student support services team consists of year coordinators, a nurse, careers advisor, psychologist, chaplain and manager. The international students coordinator monitors the progress of international students and keeps in close contact with parents and homestay carers.