Rockingham Senior High School
Rockingham Senior High School Information
Rockingham Senior High School is a well-established and resourced school that offers our students a comprehensive and caring secondary education. We offer an excellent academic program that allows each student to extend their learning in a variety of specialist areas in both lower and upper secondary school.
Through our sub-school structure students now have the unique opportunity to pursue a broad-based secondary education while focusing on their personal interests and career aspirations.
Rockingham Senior High School is set in tranquil grounds approximately 35 kilometres south of Perth. Rockingham is a popular tourist destination with its beautiful expanses of safe beaches, water sports, and environmental parks. The city fronts onto the sheltered waters of Cockburn Sound - Garden Island, Penguin Island and Seal Island are very close by. Rockingham is renowned as an aquatic playground, and a whole host of water-related activities are available in a relaxed holiday atmosphere with fun and excitement for everyone.
Rockingham Senior High School offers a unique sub-school structure which caters for a diverse range of student interests. Students can choose from either the Maritime and Human Movement, Arts/Humanities or Science/Technology & Enterprise sub-schools. Each sub-school has a focus on academic excellence with unique opportunities for students to engage themselves in extra-curricular activities which strengthen and deepen student learning. Students belong to a small group of students in one of the sub-schools and as such, will become well known by their staff and fellow students, both who have a genuine concern for the safety and well-being of each other.
the school. Both will develop the leadership potential in your student as well as giving them great opportunities to foster new friendships.
- Japanese and Spanish (Years 8-12)
These programs are available to international fee paying students. Interested students should contact the school for information regarding application procedures.
- Cricket (Years 8-12) is a DET-endorsed program which has close ties to the Western Australia Cricket Association (WACA) under the tutelage of Level 2 accredited coaches.
- Basketball (Years 8-12) is a DET-endorsed program which is well renowned as one of the best in the state, coached by an experienced State Basketball League coach.
- Netball (Years 8-12) is a DET-endorsed program which has covered itself in glory by winning the first national championship it entered into. This program has close links to the Perth Orioles, the state netball team.
- Maritime Studies (Years 8-12) is a DET-endorsed program and as the only maritime studies program of its type in the nation, is the model for other maritime studies courses nationally.
- Single Gender Classes (Years 8 & 9) is a DET-endorsed program which caters for single sex classes in maths, english, science and society & environment. This program is a joint initiative of the Arts/Humanities and Science/Technology & Enterprise Sub-schools.
- Tertiary Entrance Exams: Students have a wide range of subjects available to study to achieve their tertiary Entrance Rank (TER).
- Kwinana in Education Partnership program offers our school tertiary, business and industry experiences to students such as work experience, apprenticeships and traineeships.
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
Rockingham Senior High School has staff specifically trained in teaching English as a Second Language who can support students from non-English speaking backgrounds.
STUDENT SUPPORT PROGRAMS
The well-being of each student is supported by extensive academic, career and social guidance. Trained student advisors provide pastoral support in conjunction with the campus psychologist, student liaison officer, nurse, study skills coordinator and youth workers. A student support coordinator is responsible for the social well-being of the students. Extensive feedback is provided to students and families about student achievement.
International students are extremely welcome members of the campus community and have the support of an international student coordinator who keeps in close touch with international students and arranges regular meetings with students, agents and homestay carers.