Pittwater High School
Pittwater High School Introduction
Pittwater High is set in 15 hectares of coastal bushland on the southern edge of the Pittwater estuary on Sydney’s upper northern beaches. The school is a coeducational high school with a reputation for academic, cultural and sporting excellence as well as nurturing the social and personal development of each student.
The school’s vision is to be a school community that strives to provide a comprehensive education, developing caring happy students who are tolerant,socially responsible and encouraged to reach their full potential.
Pittwater High’s focus on excellence in teaching and learning encourages our students to think, explore, express and refl ect on real world and life issues. We offer a broad academic curriculum, which includes courses not offered by neighbouring schools, such as Agriculture and Horticulture.
Pittwater High School has an outstanding reputation in the Performing Arts. The school has five performance bands that are strongly supported by stage and concert bands from the local primary schools. We offer outstanding opportunities for students in Music, Drama and Dance to further develop their performance skills. In 2006 the musical, ‘Guys and Dolls’, was an outstanding quality musical production success.
The curriculum encompasses core subjects plus Performing Arts, Music, Drama, Technological and Applied Studies (e.g. Food Technology, Wood and Metal Technology, Textiles and Design), Languages, Commerce/Business studies and Health/Personal Development. The school has outstanding sporting facilities including two ovals, two tennis courts, three basketball courts and two indoor sport areas. The school has a very successful sporting tradition across a broad range of sports including rugby and rugby league, softball, netball, soccer, basketball, surfing, kayaking and sailing.
English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs
- Dedicated teachers with extensive experience deliver English and ESL programs
- Welfare support to international students is coordinated by the ESL teacher
- French, Japanese
- Other languages through Saturday School and OTEN
- Extension classes
- Multiple band and musical programs
- Peninsula Community of Schools learning partnerships with local schools
- International band and language tours
- Annual overseas student exchange program with New Trier High (Chicago, USA)
- Student leadership
- Interschool debating and public speaking
- Drama and dance programs
- Vocational education programs
- Work experience
Student Support Services and Programs
- Year and assistant year advisers
- School counsellor
- Careers adviser
- Student Representative Council
- Mentors for senior students
- Peer mentoring
HSC Results and Year 12 University/TAFE Placements
- Students achieved excellent results across the curriculum with 40 studentsreceiving first-round university offers
- 16 students were placed on the state Order of Merit List
Features of Local Area
- The local area offers a range of outdoor recreation facilities including surfing beaches, sailing, golf clubs, sporting fi elds and many cultural activities
- The school has been recognised for excellence in the Performing Arts with a Director-General of Education award for Excellence
- Extensive touring program for the award-winning school bands locally and internationally
- A considerable number of new students from overseas enrol in Year 11 each year
Contact our team for free to study at Australian schools.