Student Accommodation in Australia - We offer you different options for student accommodation in Australia: home stay, boarding schools, university accommodation, shared flats, guest families, ...


Student Accomodation Australia

Accommodation Options in Australia

Accommodation is a key planning point when organizing studying in Australia. It is important to book somewhere to live, either short or long term, so that you have somewhere concrete to stay when arriving in the country.

You are usually able to find permanent or long term accommodation based on campus or close by your campus provided by your educational institution. You will be able to live with other international students, or a mix of international and local students.

It is a good idea to research your accommodation options, and also those offered by your institution to find the best fit for you. You should also look up information on the suburbs surrounding your university or TAFE, for a better idea of the area and what the cost of living is like.

For temporary accommodation, you can find living spaces in a range of places like hostels, backpacker lodges, hotels or motels. It is a good idea to book temporary accommodation if you would prefer not to pre-book permanent accommodation before arriving in Australia. You can plan to stay in temporary accommodation for a few weeks while you learn about the city and its surrounding suburbs, and see in person your living options.

You can get assistance from your educational institution for temporary accommodation if you wish, or you can book directly with your institution if you prefer.

You can find detailed information about both permanent and temporary living options in our Arriving to Australia Section.

We help you for free to find your student accommodation in Australia.

Receive free info on thousands of Australia accommodation options including motels and motor lodges, b&b/farmstays, hotel and corporate facilities, apartments/self-catering, camping ground and caravan parks, backpackers and hostels and resorts and lodges, covering every part of Australia.

Cheap Student Accomodation Australia

Getting affordable accommodation at a plush city in Australia can be difficult. However, some modest youth hostels or dormitories are affordable enough to accommodate youngsters seeking a job in Australia. If you are ready to mingle with pets or carry out some cleaning house work, you can look for a job as a pet sitter or house sitter.

If lucky, you stay for free and bargain useful work experience and reference to further your job prospects. Here are some cheap accommodations valuable enough for interns, job seekers, and backpacking tourists who are looking for a working holiday in Australia.

Volunteer - Stay on a farm and learn about the Australian wildlife, help with conservation projects, building habitats, fencing eg.

WWOOF - You can enjoy the Australian lifestyle while working on a organic farm in exchange for food and accommodation

Au Pair Australia - Tired of paying for your accommodation? Become an Au pair in Australia and live here for no cost to you!

Pet Sitting – For pet lovers, pet sitting job can be fun and rewarding. You would generally get free accommodation in lieu of doing cleaning and pet care chores for the pet owner’s pets. Experienced ones can opt for dog walking and dog training jobs.

House Sitting – House-sitting job ads are often posted in Australia. You can perform daily tasks of picking up mails, cleaning the house, mowing the garden, and making the house look lived-in. For such tasks, you can stay for free or almost free in the house.

Flat-Sharing – If you plan to stay longer, you can take up a modest rented flat. The cost-effective flats can cost you around 200 AUD for a week. There are also owners who don’t mind sharing the flat with you. The cost can be a little less of 100 AUD per week.

Cheap Youth Hostels – Youths hostels with double to single sitter rooms are available at 90-to-100 AUD per week. If you choose dormitory, your expenses can come down to 20 AUD per week.

So, try out a sitter’s job or seek out hostels and dormitories to avail cheap accommodation in Australia.

To find cheap accommodation in Australia can be very tricky. You will be surprised about the standards of some accommodations. We recommend to check reviews first before making arrangements and paying a deposit.

Searching for the right accomodation is a key planning point when organising studying in Australia

Locating accommodation that suits you can be difficult and finding one on your budget can be more challenging, even Australian residents have difficulty finding new places to live as there is a shortage. Remember to take into account the cost of your housing when deciding. Check out and for many housing options. Also check newspapers for private rentals and notice boards at Universities.

It is a good idea if you’re going to rent to get some referees from past landlords that you have rented from before. Also, providing a bank receipt to your prospective landlord or real estate shows at least that you can afford the property.

Types of accommodation

In Australia there are quite a lot of varying kinds of accommodation. Apart from homestay, most accommodation only offers you basic appliances such as a stove and maybe a fridge or a washing machine. Some rental properties are fully furnished but they will cost more.

Hostels and guest houses (about $80 to $135 a week)

In Hostels and guest houses students usually share kitchen and bathroom areas and sometimes bedroom’s if the accommodation is dorm style. Hostels are often in good locations but are mainly used as a short term option until further accommodation is located.

Boarding schools (about $8,000 to $11,000 a year)

Boarding schools at Private secondary schools supply meals and laundry for students. The boarding fees are not included in tuition fees. These dorms are shared by members of the same sex and are supervised by adults.

Campus accommodation (about $100 to $250 a week)

Many universities and a few vocational institutions provide a range of accommodation at or close to the campus. They may be residential places, apartments or dormitory style residences shared with other students. The residential colleges, because they provide meals and other services are more expensive. There are often other social, education and sporting facilities. Slightly cheaper are Halls of residence which are located close to campus. Meals and some cleaning are usually supplied. There is a limit to vacancies for these options so it is important to apply early through your institution because you are not necessarily guaranteed a spot because you are doing a course in Australia.

Renting accommodation and tenancy agreements

Shared accommodation (about $50 to $160 a week) and rental
accommodation (about $200+ a week)

Renting a house, flat or apartment by yourself or with other students is an excellentoption for many international students. Though there is a limit of rental properties for all people looking for a place to live in Australia, especially in the bigger cities. If you are choosing to rent it is worthwhile knowing exactly what your rights are. Through university noticeboards, real estate agents, newspapers and other local institutions you can find out information on properties that are available. The internet is particularly useful as you can gather information from a wide variety of sources and you can usually find pictures of the place without having to go there.

Inspecting a property

When you are having a look at a property either through a private agent or a real estate agent it is a good idea to come prepared, having the relevant documents such as references, study and work details etc. Don’t be afraid to ask questions with the person that is showing you around. Have a good look around the place and take your time. How furnished is the place? Is it in the right location? Is it big enough? Is there any major structural damage to the premise? Can I afford the place? These are just some of the questions you need to ask yourself before you consider putting in an application.

Bond and tenancy agreement

If you have been triumphant in getting a place you will have to pay for a bond. A bond is essentially a deposit on the place, it is usually the equivalent of about four to six weeks rent. This amount cannot be paid by cheque or credit. This will be paid to the landlord or real estate agent. This amount that you have paid will be returned to you when your lease finishes (if the place is in the same condition as when you got it). Now the tenancy agreement is a document that both you and the person renting the property both sign. There will be a list of guidelines that state when the rent is to be paid, when the inspection’s are and the current condition of the place. The condition of the place will be recorded by the real estate agent or landlord and any problems or house defects will be noted down so you are not responsible. However, it is good idea for yourself to note these yourself, take a photo of any problems you see, e.g - a crack in the wall or a burn in the carpet.


The rent what you will be pay to the landlord or real estate agent either on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis. This amount will usually not change unless an extra person moves in or you are on a periodic tenancy agreement. (see below)

Period of tenancy

There are two main kinds of tenancy agreements, fixed and periodic. A fixed-term tenancy (the most common) is usually for six months or a year. During this time your rent cannot legally go up. A periodic tenancy has no fixed end date. So it could be from month to month and the rent could potentially go up. A fixed-term tenancy means that you know you have that place for a certain period of time and you can relax knowing that you do not have to look for another place. However, if you decide you don’t like the place then you either have to break your agreement or put up with the place until the lease ends. A periodic tenancy agreement does give you security like the fixed-term does, however you are not bound to a lengthy agreement like the fixed-term. Both have positives and negatives.


Inspections will usually occur ever two or three months, sometimes every month, or maybe even only twice a year. It all depends on the person renting the property. However, the landlord or real estate, by law has to give you at least two weeks notice before inspecting the property. You can usually organise a day and a time when all parties are free. Do your best to make the place look as good as when you got it.


The proprietor has to keep the place in good condition, for example the electricity, the plumbing or the breaking down of important services in your house. In the tenancy agreement you will be showed what you are responsible for and what is the responsibly of the property owner.


Usually, you will be responsible for setting up the power, gas, electricity, water, internet etc and will be charged for the setting up of these services.

End of tenancy

The tenancy will end by you or by the owner. You may break the lease or leave the property when the fixed-term agreement finishes. If you are doing this you must notify the owner of when you are leaving and when the place will be cleared for inspection. Four weeks is usually sufficient warning for the owner. If the owner decided when you leave either because you have been evicted or is selling the property or moving back in they will usually give you six weeks to leave the premises which will be written and sent to you. The amount of time they need to give you varies from state to state so make sure you read your tenancy agreement watchfully.


It is a good idea to try and be friendly with your real estate agent you can get along with them well. Try and be polite and treat them with respect. However, if you deem them unreasonable, if they are inspecting your property when not advising so, remember you have rights. It is always best to try and sort these problems out yourself, however, if the problems persist you can contact the Residential Tenancy Tribunal in you state. They will provide you with information on your rights as a tenant and if necessary a lawyer.

Finding Accommodation in Australia

There is much competition for affordable rental accommodation in Australia, and considerable patience may be required to find a suitable place.  Do not be discouraged: as with anything, a little perseverance will soon pay off.

As early as possible, contact your institution’s International Student liaison office.  They should be able to offer information on a range of alternatives including Homestay (living with an Australian family) and campus accommodation.

They can also provide links to websites listing shared and private rental accommodation. It is useful to research these websites in advance in order to prepare for the prices and type of accommodation you can expect. Note, however, that in most cases you will be required to inspect a property in person, before any application is approved.

When applying for rental accommodation in Australia, prospective landlords will expect you to supply proof of your ability to meet monthly rental payments (usually a bank account statement). They will also ask for details of a few referees in Australia who can testify to your character, reliability etc. Written references from past landlords at home might also work in your favour.

When your application is approved, you will be required to pay the bond and first month’s rent in the form of cleared funds (cash, bank cheque or money order).  The bond is a security deposit, usually equal to a month’s rent, which is held in trust for the duration of your tenancy. Its purpose is to indemnify the landlord against any damage you might cause to the property. Providing you do not give rise to any such costs, the bond will be fully refunded to you when you vacate.

You will be given the opportunity to report any pre-existing flaws at the start of your tenancy, on a form called a Condition Report.  This report will be used to compare the state of the property when you moved in to its condition when you move out.

Most accommodation in Australia is unfurnished and does not include any household goods. Affordable items may be purchased through second-hand stores, or via private sale advertised on institutional notice boards, online auction sites and newspapers.  It may also prove cost-effective to bring certain items with you from home.

Australia Student Accommodation

Make sure to research rental prices in the area you will be living in, whilst in Australia. This will give you an idea of rental options and prices. There are many things to think of when looking for a accommodation. In Australia there is a shortage of rentals, this is making it difficult particularly for students as they do not have permanent full time employment.

Leave your options open, if the student can not organise or afford on campus or university accommodation then they will need to research permanent rental accommodation whether it be shared or not. It is best to organise as much as possible before arriving in Australia, how ever a real estate agent will not let a prospective tenant sign a tenancy agreement without seeing the property first. There are many places to research rental accommodation.

There are various websites available where agencies advertise all their listings these include, and Once in Australia students can look in the local newspapers, weekend newspapers on Saturdays and Sundays will have the most listings in them.

To apply for a rental property, applicants will require certain documentation. Along with the application form applicants will need to show proof of identification, proof of income in the way of a bank statement, as well as references from previous agencies. As mentioned earlier there are many types of affordable accommodation available for students.

Hostels and Guest houses are good for short term accommodation, there are many youth hostels available throughout Australia. To stay at a hostel students will need to pay AU $80 to $135 per week. Most international secondary school students will stay at an on campus boarding school. Usually paid up front by the parents in conjunction with the school fees. Here students will stay in same sex dormitories, meals and utilities are all provided. Boarding schools will cost the family between AU $8,000 and $11,000 per year. A lot of tertiary education students will look for on campus accommodation. This accommodation is located close to the university. Usually in the way of a unit, a students will be provided with some meals as well as cleaning services. On campus accommodation must be organised through the educational provider, rent for on campus accommodation will be between AU $100 to $250 per week.


Rentals and Tenancy Agreements

Many International and Australian students will go into shared accommodation. This is off campus accommodation. Here students will need to apply through a real estate agency, send in an application, pay a bond and sign a tenancy agreement. Usually there will be 3 or 4 students staying in the same house, this brings the price of rent and utilities down.

Shared Accommodation will cost a student between AU $50 and $160 per week. Once a student has found a property in an advertisement the next step is to contact the listing agency and organise to inspect the property. During the inspections the applicant can decide whether or not the property will meet their needs, if it does they can get an application form off the real estate agent. When attending an inspection dress appropriately and make a good impression.

Applicants are allowed to ask the real estate agent questions. If the applicant decides the property is good for them then the application form needs to be filled out and returned to the agency with an application fee of one week rent. If the application is denied this fee will be returned to the applicant. The real estate agent will contact all applicants letting them know if they are successful or not. If you are successful the next step will be to sign a tenancy agreement and pay the bond. The tenancy agreement is signed by three parties, the owner, tenant and agent. Here they will decide on the period of tenancy (usually 6 or 12 months, however a periodic tenancy may be chosen which has no given time frame), move in date, any maintenance which needs to be attended to, dates of inspections, changes of rent (at the end of a lease, owners are allowed to increase the rent of a property), the agreement will also state any conditions which must be met at the end of a tenancy (usually this means carpets professionally cleaned, house cleaned, yard tidy.

Receipts of services must be given to the estate agent). A bond is payable once the agreement is signed, this amounts to four weeks rent. It covers any damages which may be found at the end of a tenancy. If there are no damages made then the bond will be returned. Any maintenance issues must be raised immediately with the estate agent as this should be at the owners expenses, and should not come from the tenants bond at the end of tenancy.

Along with the tenancy agreement, the tenant will be handed a condition report. This has pictures in it and shows how the property was before the tenant moved in. This agreement will help to protect a tenant upon vacation of the property. Rent is payable usually fortnightly, it is paid in advance. If a tenant falls behind in payments they will be sent a reminder from the real estate agent. If the money still hasn't been paid after a certain amount of time the tenant could face eviction. Rent can be paid either in cash through the agency or via direct debit straight into the estate agencies bank account. Each three months the real estate agent is allowed to inspect the property, they are required to give the tenant 2 weeks written notice of any inspection. Here the agent will check that the property is being looked after and they can discuss any maintenance issues with the tenant. If the property is not in acceptable condition the real estate will return in a further 2 weeks at the tenants expense. All utilities including phone, gas and electricity must be organised and connected by the tenant. It will be at the tenants expense also.

At the end of the period of tenancy the owner and tenant can either choose to extend the lease or for the tenant to leave the property. If a tenant plans to leave the property they must give 28 days written notice to the agency. If a owner decides they do not want to extend the tenancy they will give the tenant 6 weeks notice. In this time the tenant must organise to vacate and have the property cleaned. All receipts of professional carpet cleaners and cleaning services must be returned to the estate agent with the keys. If there are any disputes between tenant, agency and owner they need to either be resolved through the agency. If there is still an unresolved problem the tenant can contact the Residential Tenancy Tribunal in their state.

Accommodation options available in Australia

Homestay (approx $100 to $300 a week)

A similar option to the homestay is the farmstay. This accommodation option offers the perks of the homestay option but in a rural setting. Talk to your Educational institution about your interest in this style of accommodation. Most institutions maintain a register of reputable families that provide board to international students during the academic year.

  • What are your house rules?
  • What bills am I expected to pay aside from rent?
  • Are meals included?
  • Do I need to pay to use the phone?
  • What are your rules for using the kitchen and laundry?
  • Am I allowed to have friends visit me?
  • Do you have a curfew?
  • Can I receive calls from your home phone?
  • How much notice do you need if I decide to move out? When can I expect to get my deposit back?

Hostels and guest houses (approximately $80 to $140 per week)

Accommodation and tuition at Australian Boarding schools (approximately $8,000 to $11,000 per year)

Campus accommodation (approximately $100 to $250 per week)

This is by far the most popular accommodation option for international students completing tertiary education in Australia. At most universities and some vocational institutions, there are liaison officers that can help you find a place on campus or near campus (such as apartments, halls of residence or residential colleges). The cost for campus accommodation varies depending on the type of accommodation.

Renting private accommodation

To help gather the right information on the types of accommodation available, suitable locations, and the costs involved with rental properties, keep the following guide in mind:

The sooner you do the groundwork in seeking accommodation, the sooner you can relax and enjoy the sights, sounds and delights of Australia and your local host community.


Period of tenancy

There are two forms of rental contracts that you will be required to sign: either the fixed-term or periodic rental agreement. In the case of the fixed-term tenancy agreement, the contract is legally binding for a definite period of time (usually 6 to 12 months). It might be useful to know that once you sign this agreement, the rent cannot be increased. In contrast, in the case of a periodic tenancy, there is no definite end date. In this way, tenants usually agree to a month-by-month agreement. Consequently, there are no restrictions on their rent costs which could increase several times in one year.

Rental increases

  • all evidence of mildew in the bathroom
  • all wall cracks
  • every stain, mark or dirt spot on the carpet
  • the condition of every light fixture
  • the condition of every appliance (such as the heater and kitchen stove)
  • the condition of the bathroom fixtures
  • the condition of any appliance or fixture not mentioned in the report
  • add any scratches on floorboards or counters missing from the report
  • take photos of any damage (before you move in and date them) as proof of your claim

Another way of protecting yourself from false claims is to take a picture of the premise and hand a copy to your real estate agent as a supporting record. (You should also keep a copy of the photos and condition report for your own records): generally, when you return your signed condition report (which is usually due within three days of your tenancy start date), you will more likely receive your full bond deposit back when you vacate the premise at the end your contract.


In the event your real estate agent is not satisfied that the property is being looked after adequately or in a satisfactorily clean condition, they will generally make an additional appointment for another inspection. You will then have time to clean the property. However, if the property is still considered unclean or damaged on the second inspection, you might be asked to leave the premises. Consequently, as an international student, you should do your best to avoid this incident by maintaining your rental property; why waste time on looking for a new rental property when you could be studying or going out and meeting new friends!


  • fixing broken appliances and fixtures such as burst water pipes and roof leaks
  • ensure all electrical equipments and outlets are safe and working
  • address and faulty or breakdown of essential services (like the toilet and shower)

For more information, you can speak to your real estate agent. They should be capable of providing you with details as to what the landlord is responsible for fixing and maintaining. They should also provide you with contact number and directions on what to do in an emergency (.e. should the electricity stop functioning at night, the name and number of their electrician).


Payment for utility services (such as connecting gas, water, electricity and telephone to the property) can either be managed or paid for by you or the landlord. You will need to speak to the real estate agent on what your rental agreement terms state. Utility arrangements vary greatly in each state and territory.

End of tenancy

However, if you the tenant decide to leave before the tenancy agreement period has finished, you must provide written notice of your intention to vacate at least four weeks before you leave. In this event, you could lose you deposit bond as a result. However, some landlords are flexible about such matters if they find a new tenant within the 4-week period. You will need to thoroughly examine the rental property laws in your state as well as speak to the real estate agent directly.  But, if the reason for your early departure is not your decision, rather because the owner decides to end the tenancy, (i.e. you are being evicted for breaching your contract or perhaps they might be selling the property or moving back in themselves), they will need to provide you with a written notice to vacate. This notice is usually given six weeks in advance before you a required to leave. The length of notice does vary from state to state, so examine your tenancy agreement carefully.


  • ACT Residential Tenancies Tribunal: 02 6217 4259
  • Queensland Residential Tenancy Authority: 1300 366 311
  • Consumer Affairs Victoria: 1300 558 181
  • New South Wales Office of Fair Trading: 13 32 20
  • South Australia Office of Consumer and Business Affairs: 08 8204 9555
  • Western Australia Department of Consumer and Employment Protection 1300 304 054
  • Northern Territory Consumer Affairs: 1800 019 319

Uni Accommodation

University accomodations are operated by the universities and only full-time students are eligible to use these facilities.

They are normally very close to the university and you can expect to have your own bedroom, share bathroom, recreation areas, laundry and kitchen. University accommodations are either full board or room only with a shared kitchen.

As on-campus accommodation is in high demand, you should apply well in advance. Expect to pay a fee in advance.

University Apartments are in most cases for postgraduate students, visiting faculty and married students only on a self-contained and fully furnished basis.

An alternative would be our free accomodation programme.

Australia has a very good standard of accommodation and landlords and real estate agents are required by law to ensure your safety and security.

During your stay in Australia you may consider renting a house or room. Many students prefer to share a house or apartment with other students, whereby all tenants share the costs and responsibility for cooking, cleaning and maintaining the premises.

You can rent furnished or unfurnished houses, apartments / townhouses and rooms from a real estate agent or privately. You will have to sign a lease (contract) with the agent or owner for the property. Leases are usually for a 6 month minimum contract period.

If you, for example, searched for accommodation and found a place that you were interested in on the internet, most agents will expect you to pick up the key and visit the house to inspect it yourself. However, Study-Travel-Work-Australia/Australien-Ausbildung can help you to find the accommodation that you are interested while you are still abroad.

When you ask AA Education Network to visit accommodation on your behalf, we will charge a service fee of AUD $150 per three visits or AUD $250 per six visits. We will also provide 10 digital pictures and a brief summary of each visit based on your individual requirements.

As a temporary visa holder you may be eligible to buy a house or flat and apply for credit in Australia.

Please check out our Australia forum for finding a flat or house in Australia.

There are a lot of accommodations for international students:

One of the biggest challenges besides being in a new place where you do not know as many people as you would like is living arrangement.  You can get additional information at or for a list of rentals or apartments.

You might want to research before just throwing yourself into something you are not quiete aware of or have not looked into before.  Your institution has an international office, contact the staff way before you arrive for information on housing in or out of campus, living and other questions.

If you know people who live in Australia or have had past experience in renting in the continent it would be good to get their feedback and learn from their experience.  As well if you have rented with other people in the past, getting written references can work to your benefit by providing these statements to real estate agents when you apply for property, showing you have a good record as a good tenant.

Types of accommodation

There are various types of accommodation.  Take things that remind you from home but remember not to include electrical items, furniture, bedding or kitchen utensils they qualify as quarantine.  Never the less you can always bring some of your own basic items, pillows, toothbrush, pictures, notebooks, books and other household items can be purchase in retail outlets or in private sales for people on a budget.

Your institution can provide you with advice on accommodation options.  Temporary accommodations can be arranged for you before you leave home if you are still in the process of considering long-term options.

Here is where your money can take you

Home stay (about $110 to $270 a week)

Hostels and guest houses (about $80 to $135 a week)
The hostels are usually run by organizations such as Youth Hostels Australia and the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA).

Students share kitchen bathrooms facilities and short stay options are available. Boarding schools (about $8,000 to $11,000 a year)Many private secondary schools provide comfortable accommodations, meals and laundry services for international school students.

Tuition fees are in addition to the boarding fees.  You will share a room with other student of the same sex and be supervised by adults. Campus accommodation (about $11 to $250 a week)

Most universities and some vocational institutions offer a variety of accommodations on or near campus, such as apartments or residential. The cost will vary depending if you are staying on or off campus. But keep in mind staying on campus will be slightly more expensive but includes meals, tutoring, libraries and computer facilities.  Halls of residence which is another option are located on or near institution campuses and are cheaper than residential colleges and also includes meals and some cleaning services are provided, the institution can provide you with further assistance, keep in mind the earlier you know what you like and where you would enjoy to reside the better it is, due to high demand by other students who are also interested in the same living space, is first come first serve.  Just because you have accepted to study in Australia does not guarantee you a room or a place of residence.

Renting accommodation and tenancy agreements

Shared accommodation (about $50 to $160 a week) and rental accommodation (about $200 + a week)Renting a house or flat by yourself is a popular choice for all new international students, however, the shortage of rental properties means the price is quite high and competition is rough.  If you plan to rent do research and make sure to stay away from the scam or offers that may seem too good to be true.  Gather information on what kind of rentals your interested in, what would you like the price to include (if water, light, furniture) and use the internet as your friend check out or, look at locations, prices, how far is it from your new school institution.

Inspecting a property

When you find a location that you are interested in available for rent, you will need to pass by and view it, first set up a date and time to visit the local.  This information you can find on the real estate website.  It is accustomed to not rent a property that has not been inspected prior.

The location should look neat and tidy and not to be afraid to speak to the real estate agent showing the property if you have questions.  If you ha reference this would be the ideal time if you are a person who will be a renter to show them.  If you are really serious about renting make sure that you bring along proof that you can pay for rent.

When you inspect the property some questions you should keep in mind is: Is there enough space for your needs? Is it close to public transportation? Is the rent price fair enough? Are you getting what you want out of the property for the money you’re paying? If you change your mind, how much notice do you need to give? Are the living conditions appropriate?

You should also look out for things that might need fixing: cracks in the walls, broken tiles.  Is it contract we are doing or monthly renting? If you want out later on what are the necessarily steps you need to do, how bind are you to the contract, what other information do they require for you to rent the location.

Your tenancy agreement

If you are successful in applying to rent a property, you will need to sign a tenancy agreement.  The terms and conditions will vary from state to state but you can be sure to find clauses that might bind you to something you might not want to be bind with, you can also have a lawyer or someone else that has past experience to review it and look it over to make sure you are not getting involved in something that ultimately wont work for you.

Bond: The bond is the money that you pay up fron
t, like a security deposit.  Is about four to six weeks rent and you will have to pay it to the real estate agent in cleared funds (cash, not by credit card or checks)  when you sign the tenancy agreement.  This money you should get it back at the end of your term, when you leave this residency as long as the payment, room, or living space that you were residing in is the same way it was when you first moved in.  This money you cannot use it to pay your rest during the last couple of months.

Rent:  The rent is the amount you have to pay each week or month, it various on what your landlord and agreements that comes upon between both parties.  Rent must always be paid in advance.  If you fall behind you run the chance of being evicted and losing your bond, giving the owner of the property the bond to cover the rent you are not paying.  Before you sing your tenancy agreement, discuss with your real estate agent how you will be required to make these payments.  Also look into if you can set up some kind of automatic payments.

Period of tenancy:  You might be asked to sign one of two types of tenancy agreements- fixed-term or periodic.  A fixed-term tenancy is for a definite period, 6 to 12 months in which your rent cannot go up.

Rent increases:  If you are on a fixed-term tenancy, your rent cannot increase.  But if you move to a periodic tenancy at the end of your contract, your real estate agent may provide you with notice of their intention to increase your rent.

Condition report:  When your real estate agent hands you your copy of your tenancy agreement and the keys to your new place.  Also included in your documents is your condition report, where presents when you can movie it, list the damages, such as cracks, dirty spots, appliances already included and other conditions.  Anything you noticed that came with the place and is not on the list you can add it and notify the agent.  Is also a good idea to take photos of the items you are adding to the list.  You will have three days to return a copy of the complete condition report to the real estate agent and always stay with a copy for yourself.

Inspections:  It will be a condition of your tenancy that allows your real estate agent to inspect your property throughout your stay.  The purpose is so that the real estate agent can check that you are taking good care of the property and report back to the owner.  When ever other inspection takes place you will be given at least two weeks notice prior.  If the real estate agent is not satisfied that the property is not being kept you like it should, with adequate living conditions, maintained, they will generally make an appointment for another inspection soon afterwards.  If the property still isn’t up to the expectations that it should be you might find yourself in a position where you have to move out.

Maintenance:  Property owners are required to maintain their properties in a condition that is appropriate to be lived in on a day to day base, in good repair.  The responsibilities of every owner varies from state to state but generally includes fixing breakdowns of essential services, roof leaks, water pipes, electrical circuits; your real estate agent can provide you with more information.

Utilities:  Everything extra that the location will have for your use, such as gas, water, electricity and telephone.  These appliances will come out of your pocket and it is your duty in most cases to pay them on time since you will be using them 100% of the time.

End of tenancy: A tenancy can end in two ways- either you can end it, or the owner can choose to end it.  If you are on a fixed-term tenancy, you can decide to leave the premises at the end of the contract period or again renew it for another period of time.  If you chose to end it, you must provide a written notice at least four weeks before you leave. If the owner on the other hand decides to end the tenancy, you have about six weeks before you must leave.

State/territory contact Telephone Website

ACT Residential
Tenancies Tribunal
02 6217 4259

Queensland Residential
Tenancy Authority
1300 366 311

Consumer Affairs
1300 558 181

New South Wales Office
Of Fair Trading
13 32 20

South Australia Office
Of Consumer and
Business Affairs
08 8204 9555

Western Australia
Department of Consumer
And Employment
1300 304 054

Tenants’ Union of
1300 652 641

Disputes: Is important to try and maintain a good relationship with your real estate agent, and if any problems should arise you can communicate openly with them about any issues, but even if you do not have the greatest relationship with the agent you should still be able to communicate with them in a polite manner, they are after all the link between you and your new rental.

If the problems are not ultimately fixed or you would like another option on the information they have given you, you can contact the Residential Tenancy Tribunal in your state.  They can provide more information on the laws of tenants’ protections.

International students who are aged 14 years or older may enter a Homestay accommodation or boarding school arrangement.

International High School students who are under 14 years old can reside with a close family relative:

    * A parent or step-parent
    * An aunt or uncle
    * A Grandparent or step-Grandparent

The education department will closely monitor the residency status of the close family relative to ensure the best possible care and support of international students who are under 14 years old.

Your accommodation needs will largely depend on your lifestyle and budget.

The options are: on-campus, school boarding houses, home stay, backpacker hostels and rented accommodation.

Hostels and Guest Houses often require students to share common facilities. The same with boarding houses where students may be supervised.

Home Stays are also very popular with international students because they allow you to soak in the local way of living plus the local hospitality.

Most international students prefer to rent accommodation as this is cheaper and enables them to save.

The services include:

  • Student Accommodation and Homestay
  • Airport Pickup
  • Care Giving (Guardianship)
  • Study Tours

Study vision works as a network with many international agencies, colleges, and universities worldwide.

Study vision knows the special demands of international students and the problems they have to face. Study Vision also recognizes the problems parents and guardians of overseas students are facing. Therefore, the best possible support in a friendly and relaxed environment, student's safety and a trouble-free and peacefull service is what Study Vision made their mission.


Study vision accommodates several thousand students or visitors from any cultural background and age. Most of our accommodation finds place in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Study Vision offers special services for underage students (under 18) and accommodate them in governemnt approved families.

Visitors benefit from Study Vision's Study and Tourist tours.

Study Vision offers only home stay accommodation.


Underage students have to stay in special government approved families, which are screened and inspected regularly and highly experienced care-givers to povide the best possible care for the students.

Airport Pickup/Reception

Study vision has it's own drivers for special pickup services upon student's arrival. Furthermore, Study Vision offers to help you with multiple matters such as opening a bank account or buying a mobile phone and a SIM card.


Contact our student service to get more information about study vision or book a homestay with us to receive the best service possible.


Do all hostels have social amenities shared on the corridor?

No, some hostels offer other kind of rooms with own social facilities or apartments (two rooms share bathroom and WC together).

Can I buy breakfast in the hostel?

Yes, many hostels have breakfast already included in the price.

Is there an age limit in hostels?

No, all hostels are open to all ages!

Can I use the Internet?

Yes, some hostels have the Internet available in common rooms. Please, look for this information in the description of each hostel.

Is it necessary to make a reservation in advance?

Yes, especially during the tourist season when hostels are usually booked up pretty soon in advance.

What shall I do, if I want to cancel my reservation?

Send us the cancellation as soon as possible by fax or e-mail with requirement of confirmation from us. In cases where you have cancelled the reservation less than 48 hours before the day of arrival, you will be subject to the accommodation no show and cancellation policies and will lose your deposit.

Could you please send me a confirmation of my reservation by fax?

We prefer to communicate by e-mail but in special cases we can send it by fax.

Do you offer any discounts?

Yes, we offer discounts for long term stays (more than 14 days) and group reservations.

Are the quoted prices final or do I have to pay something more at the reception?

All prices are final including GST and taxes.

Hotels and Motels

How do I know if my hotel reservation is confirmed?

You will receive an email notification from the hotel/ motel.

Do children receive discounted rates?

Policies regarding child reductions vary from hotel to hotel. Where these discounts apply, they are passed on to you. Please verify with us.

How much will I be charged if I cancel a booking?

Please refer to the Booking Terms.

What credit/debit cards are accepted?

Motels/Hotels accept payment by Visa and MasterCard.

What do you do with my personal information?

We take the issues of privacy and security very seriously. You may refer to our privacy statement.

I am disabled. How can I request a special room or equipment?

Many accommodation and tourist attractions have upgraded their facilities for the disabled. We will do our best to find you the most suitable accommodation for your disability.

Accommodation Australia - costs

There are a number of accommodation options available for students studying in Australia. Most universities and TAFE colleges operate housing offices to assist students with accommodation.  Students should seek their advice as soon as they receive confirmation of enrolment.
*Average student living cost $300 to $400 per week

Homestay (living with an Australian family) is popular with younger students and those studying short-term English courses. Meals are usually included.

Many universities and colleges have halls of residence attached to them. Here, students have a bedroom/study of their own, and will share bathrooms, laundries and recreational facilities. Most of these residential halls provide meals, and some offer kitchen facilities where students can cook and store food.

Students can also rent an apartment or house. Rents vary depending on the location, size and facilities. Many students in Australia live in an apartment or a house with other students, sharing the cost of gas, electricity and sometimes food.

Other types of accommodation for students include private board, hostels and guest houses. Again, costs will vary depending on the location and the facilities available. Below is an indicative guide.

  • Homestay (living with an Australian family)  A$180-250 per week
  • Full Board and meals A$180-250 per week
  • University residential colleges A$180-280 per week
  • University halls of residence  A$100-160 per week
  • Private or church-owned boarding hostels A$90-130 per week
  • Share accommodation A$80-150 per week
  • Rental accommodation From A$150 per person per week
  •  Secondary school boarding A$8000 -11,000 per year

Accommodation Options

As an international student, you have a number of accommodation options in South Australia to choose from. These include:

Share Accommodation

If you are looking to share accommodation with other students or Australians, we suggest looking at the Notice Board in your Student Services area or contact a Real Estate Agent in the suburb/town you wish to live in.

The cost will vary according to the size of the home and the location from AUS$70,00 - $180,00 per week rent. Additional expenses such as electricity, food, gas, and telephone are divided equally.

Rental Accommodation

If you would like to rent your own house, apartment, flat or share accommodation, again we suggest asking your local Real Estate Agent.
The cost will vary depending upon the size of your home. You will be required to sign a lease agreement for a period of time.

Hostel Accommodation

International students can be accommodated safely and securely in single rooms in the Torrens Valley, International Residence. This is situated near the Torrens Valley Institute of TAFE, (Tea Tree Gully Campus), and is very close to transportation. Prices range from AUS$70,00 per week for a standard room to AUS$100,00 per week for a deluxe room.

Employment Opportunities

International Students can apply to work part time while studying in Australia.
To apply for a work permit you will need to obtain your student visa and arrive in Adelaide to study. Once you have arrived, you can take your passport to the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs, and pay AUD$50,00 to apply for a work permit. International students can work up to 20 hours per week. During holidays, no restrictions to working hours apply.

Student Accommodation Australia Testimonaials