International Baccalaureate (IB) Australia - IB Diploma in Australia
International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme Australia | We help you find and apply to the IB Schools in Australia | Our services are FREE
International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) Australia
A few private and government schools run this program that includes a two-year pre-university course that is accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO).
This program is offered to students between the ages of 12 and 16 and successful students can become eligible for admission to international universities abroad.
All students in Australia who want to pass matriculation have to attend high school. Australia divides its high school year into four terms (exception Tasmania: 3 terms). A high school year in Australia runs from January to December.
There are short vacations between terms, the 4 th term ends with longer summer vacations. School starts at 9 am and finishes approx. at 3.30 pm.
Especially international students attending a High School in Australia, but also Australian students, can decide on passing the International Baccalaureate, which is internationally recognised.
There are two versions of the International Baccalaureate:
That is a five-year program for students aged between 11 and 16. It follows the Primary Years Programme while offering an alternative educational approach to traditional school subjects. Moreover, it is an excellent preparation for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB)
The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) is a two-year pre-university program for students aged between 16 and 19 years of age. It is especially designed for international students who wish to graduate from a High School in Australia with an internationally recognized degree.
The International Baccalaureate enables students to study at all international universities. Ivy League institutions such as Harvard, Oxford, Princeton or Cambridge even prefer students with high scores in their IB courses.
In Australia, the last two years of secondary school (Year 11 and 12) are devoted to the preparation for university studies and graduation from high school.
In the final senior secondary year all students have to undertake a State Government administered program which will qualify them for admission to an Australian university.
In grade 12 Australian high school students get prepared for their high school graduation or matriculation, which grants them access to the universities and colleges in Australia.
Each state or territory has its own name for the Year 12 matriculation certificate (high school graduation):
- Australian Capital Territory: ACT Year 12 Certificate
- New South Wales: Higher School Certificate (HSC)
- Northern Territories: Senior Secondary Studies Certificate
- Queensland: Queensland Senior Certificate (QSC)
- South Australia: South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE)
- Tasmania: Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE)
- Victoria: Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Western Australia: Certificate of Secondary Education
While the successful passing of the Year 12 exam (high school graduation) qualifies a student for university entry, it does not automatically guarantee a place. Entry into most Australian courses is on a competitive basis for overseas and local students alike.
IB School Locations Australia
IB Schools in Queensland
As part of an IB program, international students acquire a globally recognized school leaving certificate. Students wishing to apply for this program must have excellent school reports.
Below is the list of schools offering IB in Queensland. Find out more about the IB program at the state high schools in Queensland here.
- Benowa State High School
- Calamvale Community College
- Cleveland District State High School
- Indooroopilly State High School
- Mountain Creek State High School
- Queensland Academies - QA Creative Industries, QA Health Sciences, QA Science Mathematics and Technology - In the Queensland Academies, highly talented and outstanding students are prepared in the best possible way for further academic careers. The focus areas available are Creative Industries, Health Science or Science / Mathematics / Technology.
IB Schools in South Australia
- Blackwood High School
- Glenunga International High School
IB Schools in Victoria
- Werribee Secondary College