High School Study Abroad in Victoria
Imagine studying at a High School in Melbourne or Regional Victoria!
Melbourne is a vibrant and trendy city and the capital city of the state of Victoria. It is Australia’s second-largest and one of the most liveable cities in the world. Victoria’s seasons are variable: warm to hot in summer, mild in both autumn and spring and cold and rainy in winter. Summer is great for outdoors activities like cycling, sailing and surfing, autumn and spring are better for fishing, rock-climbing or road tours of the rural regions while winter is ideal for snow-boarding and skiing.
Melbourne is often second played to Sydney. As Sydney is Australia’s busiest city and Melbourne is Australia’s second. Don’t let this fool you though Melbourne has more to offer then many of us will ever realize.
The high schools are known for being extremely multi cultural. there is not a high school in Melbourne or regional Victoria where a second language is not a necessity as a subject. Although the city itself is quite large and Victoria as a state quite small you would expect that land size and school campuses to be smaller then a lot of Australia’s other schools. In fact Melbourne’s High Schools have extremely large campuses, brilliant up to date facilities and extremely well taught teachers.
Melbourne is a city anyone would love to call home with schools available for any family including government schools, private schools, independent schools , and with it’s extra ordinary schooling system and it’s pride in it’s educational sector.
Get Expert Advice on the High Schools in Melbourne & Regional Victoria
Our Free Services for Students & Parents
Our team of high school experts help you find the right school and assist with the application process.
We offer our service to you 100% FREE, since we are funded by the education providers in Australia.
There are approximately 120 accredited high schools in Victoria.
You can choose a school that offers you:
- the subjects you want to study
- many extra-curricular activities for you to enjoy
- the desired location you want to study in (close to the beach, close to the city…)
Why study at a government high school in Melbourne or Regional Victoria?
- High Standard of Education
The high schools in Melbourne is recognized internationally for it’s high quality teaching methods, learning spaces, curriculum and qualifications. The education system is internationally recognised as one of the best in the world. It fosters learning through traditional classroom tasks as well the latest technologies, including the internet and multimedia labs.
- Multicultural & Student Friendly Environment
International students get the opportunity to experience the Australian way of life in a supportive homestay environment.
- Amazing Environment and Landscape
Melbourne and regional Victoria offers beautiful coastline and beaches, as well as national parks and natural wonders that are there for you to experience. Victoria, especially Melbourne, has a varied natural and cultural landscape: there are wine-growing regions, farmlands, mountain ranges and national parks along with cosmopolitan cities and gorgeous coastal scenery, not to mention 180 different languages spoken as well as the multicultural diversity of food in the restaurants and hotel scenes. Fashion, festivals, sports, arts and entertainment add their own variations to the cultural scene of Melbourne and Victoria.
- Melbourne is ranked as the best student destination in the world!
It is also ranked # 2 in the worlds most liveable cities as well as the worlds best sporting city.
- Choose from over 90 different subjects & many different extra curricular activities & academies.
The curriculum for Victorian schools is broad, allowing development of academic, social, cultural and sporting capacities in its students. International students can be guaranteed they will receive the English language tuition necessary for success in their life and study in Victoria through high-quality educational opportunities in a safe and healthy environment.
The High Schools in Melbourne & Regional Victoria
Choice of Schools
Large or small, urban or country, Melbourne or regional towns – Victoria has more than 400 schools to choose from, so you can find exactly what you want.
English Language Course
On arrival, international students may attend an English Language School or Centre (ELS/C) for intensive English lessons. Lessons are generally given on the school campus, with other high school students.
Our teachers are highly qualified and motivated. Class sizes are small.
Students use state of the art technology and have access to the internet.
Care and Support
All schools that are accredited to accept international students must have an Overseas Student Coordinator (OSC). The OSC helps in many ways – by providing an orientation program, by helping to open bank accounts etc., and by ensuring that the many benefits of Victorian life are made available.
High Schools Melbourne & Victoria Entry Requirements
There are certain requirements you will need to meet to be able to study at a High School in Melbourne or regional Victoria.
- The minimum age of enrolment at a Victorian government school for a full fee paying student is 6 years of age as at 30 April of the year of enrolment.
- The minimum age of enrolment for students arriving on their parent’s student visa i.e. a dependant student is 5 years of age as at 30 April of the year of enrolment.
- The maximum age of enrolment at a Victorian government school at commencement of school is as follows:
- If undertaking Year 9, the student must be less than 17 years of age
- If undertaking Year 10, the student must be less than 18 years of age
- If undertaking Year 11, the student must be less than 19 years of age
- If undertaking Year 12, the student must be less than 20 years of age.
Students may enrol in a Victorian government high school at the level most appropriate to their academic standing in their home country. Applications are assessed on the student’s academic records and on the references from their current school principal on their aptitude and attitude towards study.
Secondary students must have a pass average in all core subjects in the past 2 years of schooling, however schools reserve the right to accept or reject any applications.
Overseas students who are offered a place at a Victorian government high school are required to have sufficient English to undertake the course of study they are enrolled in.
At the time of application, students are required to provide evidence of their English language levels. If the medium of instruction in the student’s school has not been English, the student will be required to undertake intensive English lessons before they commence school.
Please note an official English test like the IELTS, is usually not required. In most cases a letter of recommendation from your home school is sufficient or if you have studied English, you will need to show your grades.
If you don’t have good English knowledge, expect to undertake a 10, 20 or 30-week intensive English program at a Victorian government English Language School or Centre prior to their commencement at their host school. This may be subject to testing the student’s English language levels on arrival. Most English Language Centres or Schools are located at the host school campus or nearby the host school.
For direct entry into a High School Diploma Program, students must demonstrate an English level equivalent of an IELTS 5.0. Overseas students are able to study English as a Second Language (ESL) at their host school instead of studying in mainstream English classes if English has not been their language of instruction. ESL classes for overseas students are small and cannot exceed 15 students.
Accommodation for High School Students
Your child can stay in homestay accommodation with Australians.
Regulations cover both welfare and accommodation requirements for an international students as a package. If a student is under 15 years of age and requires welfare arrangements to be arranged by the schools department, homestay accommodation will also be arranged. If parents wish to care for their child or nominate a relative as approved by the Australian Imigration Department, the schools department has no responsibility to provide accommodation for the student.
For more information on welfare arrangement speak to our expert education agents.
Homestay is full board accommodation offered by a family, couple or single person for which a set weekly fee is charged, covering food and accommodation but excluding telephone expenses.
Students are provided with:
A single room for the student’s use
Three meals a day, seven days a week
Facilities – a bed, wardrobe, towels and linen
Fuel – gas and electricity
Cleaning services of common living areas
Use of living areas within the residence.
All homestay families undergo a police check prior to receiving an international student. Providers of homestay accommodation and students will be monitored by the school throughout the student’s enrolment at a Victorian government school.
Cost and Payment
An Accommodation Placement Fee of around A$280 is charged for the placement of a student in homestay accommodation.
Prior to commencement of the accommodation arrangement, the cost and payment terms will be agreed between the student, parents, and the homestay provider. Depending on facilities, services and location it is between A$250 – $320 per week.
The initial payment may include 2 weeks rent in advance plus a bond that is the equivalent of 2 weeks rent. The bond is refundable at the termination of the homestay arrangement after all expenses, repairs or damage (if any) have been paid.
If a student returns home for school holidays a holding deposit of up to 50% of the rent may be required to be paid to the homestay family for the duration of the holidays if the student intends to return to the accommodation.
Melbourne & Victoria High School Subjects & Extra Curricular Activities
The schools in Melbourne & Victoria offer a great range of subjects and extra curricular activities for international students.
Contact us to find out more and get a a listing of all available subject choices.
High Schools in Melbourne & Victoria offer over 90 different subjects to chose from in the following 9 key areas:
- The Arts
- Business Studies
- Health and Physical Education
- Australian Rules Football
- Surfing and surf lifesaving
- Open water swimming
- Outdoor education
- Forensic science
- Drama / theatre
- Dance (classic, hip hop, contemporary, world cultures)
- Visual arts and design
- Public speaking / debating
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)
- Student leadership
- Language and culture
- Sport coaching
- Fundraising for charities
- Environment and conservation
- Arts and media
- Social justice and global issues.
Melbourne / Victoria High School Term Dates
School Term Dates 2020
Term 1 28 January – 27 March
Term 2 14 April – 26 June
Term 3 13 July – 18 September
Term 4 5 October –
Year 9: 18 December; or Year 10: 27 November; or Year 11: 20 November
Popular Study Abroad Schools in Melbourne and regional Victoria:
- Bayside P-12 College
- Fairhills High School
- Forest Hill College
- Frankston High School
- Parkdale Secondary College
- Sandringham College
- Templestowe College
- Williamstown High School
Further High Shools:
- Ashwood College
- Balwyn High School
- Banksia-LaTrobe Secondary College
- Bentleigh Secondary College
- Blackburn High School
- Box Hill High School
- Braybrook College
- Brentwood Secondary College
- Brighton Secondary College
- Buckley Park College
- Camberwell High School
- Carwatha College P-12
- Chandler Campus of Keysborough Secondary College
- Cheltenham Secondary College
- Collingwood College
- Coomoora Campus of Keysborough Secondary College
- Copperfield College
- Dandenong High School
- Debney Park Secondary College
- Deer Park Secondary College
- Doncaster Secondary College
- Dromana Secondary College
- East Doncaster Secondary College
- Elwood College
- Essendon Keilor College
- Footscray City College
- Gilmore Girls’ College
- Glen Eira College
- Glen Waverley Secondary College
- Hallam Senior Secondary College
- Hawthorn Secondary College
- Heatherhill Campus of Keysborough Secondary College
- Highvale Secondary College
- Keilor Downs College
- Kew High School
- Koonung Secondary College
- Lyndale Secondary College
- Macleod College
- Maribyrnong College
- Maroondah Secondary College
- McKinnon Secondary College
- Melbourne Girls’ College
- Mill Park Secondary College
- Montmorency Secondary College
- Mordialloc College
- Mount Eliza Secondary College
- Mount Waverley Secondary College
- Mullauna College
- Noble Park Secondary College
- Northcote High School
- Pembroke Secondary College
- Preston Girls Secondary College
- Reservoir District Secondary College
- Ringwood Secondary College
- Rosebud Secondary College
- Rowville Secondary College
- South Oakleigh College
- Springvale Campus of Keysborough Secondary College
- St Albans Secondary College
- Strathmore Secondary College
- Sunshine College
- Swinburne Senior Secondary College
- Thornbury High School
- Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School
- Viewbank College
- Wantirna College
- Wellington Secondary College
- Werribee Secondary College
- Westall Secondary College
- Wheelers Hill Secondary College
Let our High School Study Abroad Experts Help!
High School Program Fees
See below the fees for a high school study abroad in Melbourne or regional Victoria. These fees are for 2019 and directly from the Victoria schools department. Our services are FREE of charge.
Junior High SchoolYear 7 - 9
Airport Pick up
Senior High SchoolYear 11-12
Airport Pick up
Life in Victoria as a High School Student
Studying in a different country can be overwhelming and frightening for many. That’s why it’s important to make the right choices when choosing where you want to study.
- stability and peace
- clean living
- a comfortable climate
- a world class education system
- lots of recreational opportunities
- warm, welcoming and friendly people
- high quality public services, housing and transport.
- Amazing food
- Fun by the water
If you decide to study at a regional school, you’ll live in Victoria’s most beautiful locations and communities, including:
- Mornington Peninsula
- the Grampians (Stawell)
- the Yarra Valley
- the Dandenong Ranges
- the Great Ocean Road (Warrnambool, Geelong).
Life at a High School in Victoria will provide you with an opportunity to make new friends, learn new skills and experience the high quality education system . No matter which country you come from, the schools in Victoria respect different cultures and have support services in place to make you feel right at home.
Further more you get to:
- Experience Australian Culture
- Share you traditions with your classmates
- Interact with friendly teachers
- Learn in modern facilities designed to meet the needs of the future
- Melbourne Food
Also know as the food capital of Australia, Melbourne offers many different cuisines. Get Chinese from Chinatown, Vietnamese from Richmond and Italian food from Carlton. Your sure to find many others all across Melbourne.
- Australian Animals
Your sure to see the iconic Australian animals in Victoria, including the koala and kangaroo. You can also see penguins and whales in surrounding areas or visit the zoos.
- Beaches and Outdoor Activities
You’ll find many stunning coastlines and beaches around Melbourne and regional Victoria, giving you the opportunity to surf, swim, fish or sail. Not too far from Melbourne, you’ll find mountain ranges, national parks, walking tracks, mountain bike tracks and many other areas that will keep you busy.
Apply to study at a High School in Melbourne or Regional Victoria
We help you find the perfect school in Victoria and help you apply. We also guide you through all other necessary steps such as applying for your student visa.